Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys looking for a bit of help with my new 954. bought the bike and only ran it a couple of times and its started to run rough at low rpm in low gears having to give it plenty of revs when moving of in 1st and does not like being low rpm in any gear so riding in traffic is hard work once moving through the gears it runs great and really pulls. the idle can also be a bit hapzard.

The bike is at 18000 thousand mile had recent service and new battery. had a pampered life to looking at the bodywork its had an easy life. think it might have been stood though for a while before i bought it.

Thinking about changing coils sticks and plugs. any advice would be great. thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi first of all the 954 doesn't like being run in a high gear at low speed, having said that what is your idle rpm, and have a look at your FPR, before spending any money

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah mate i know its my second 954 i was on about first three gears really. the idle was set around 1200 but kept dropping so i adjusted to 1500 and today its sat pretty level although it did drop a couple of times while at lights. spoke to a mate who suggested coil sticks? Will check FPR like you said but its a new one on me so ill do some research. thanks for reply.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Im my experience two things made my Buddies 954 do that, one was the Power Commander 3 and Fuel Regulator. Replace the regulator first then the issue cleared up. a week later he couldnt go over a certain RPM, i disconnected his PC3 and it ran like a charm. something else i would check is the fuel filter or fuel lines, something is choking off your fuel deliver or air intake delivery.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers ill give them a check. ill post up when its sorted. Bike was really bogging down in the first few corners near my house like it was going to stall but once the the engine got spinning up and i give it a few handfulls it ran ok. Think ur right about the fuel or air.
Thanks again appreciate it.

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,611 Posts
On top of the good info you've gotten already, check to make sure the airbox flapper and exhaust valve are still working correctly. As you already know, the 954 and 929 had a crappy map down low and would sometimes buck and sputter and be hard to manipulate just off throttle. The power commander always seemed to help in that regard. Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input ian, hopefully get a look at the bike friday. Not going too deep with this though if its not an easy fix its going to the mechanics. Had enough fun and games with the last 954. just want to ride and enjoy. thanks again

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
any fi light? first thing i would do is clear the fi codes, run the bike and then check for any new ones. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just checked the FPR and it seems ok no drips. No Fi light. Also checked the fuel lines. Everything looks ok other than the hose that goes from the tank to the FPR is looking pretty shabby there are no leaks but compared to the others it looks terrible and moldy?. anyway ive fiddled with the hoses and went for a short run and bike seems alot better although i think the problem is still there as it was slightly snatchy.

Ive only been on the bike a handful of times since i bought it due to weather but i did notice that once or twice when the bike was bogging down and clearing the yellow fuel light would come on and go off after a short spell.?

Going for a longer run over weekend see what happens.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts