Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having problems with my 954. I left it sitting all winter and now want to enjoy the nice weather. Battery was dead so i tried to jump start it and it starts after lots of cranking on the starter but runs like garbage. Anytime you give it any gas it boggs down and dies. and if u let it idle it will die with in a couple of min. after reading on this forum i thought i have a faulty TPS senor or FPR. I replaced the whole throttle body set including injectors, FPR and TPS and vaccum lines etc.(i bought them used). I checked and cleaned the plugs. and still having the same problem. I have the airbox still off trying to troubleshoot it. Whats next to replace or test? Any input would appreciated!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you replaced the throttle bodies you will likely need to have them synched to your motor. This is done using a sychronizing vacum tool. Also make sure you charge your battery all the way. Although if the battery was the problem you should not notice it until you disconect the jumpers. Last just like he said earlier replace the gas and maybe add some seafoam to the gas. Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have replaced the gas and ran a can of seafoam with it. I have been jump starting tHe bike with an extra battery I have in my garage. Sync the tb with the motor by checking the vaccum pressure at each cylinder?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I am having problems with my 954. I left it sitting all winter and now want to enjoy the nice weather. Battery was dead so i tried to jump start it and it starts after lots of cranking on the starter but runs like garbage. Anytime you give it any gas it boggs down and dies. and if u let it idle it will die with in a couple of min. after reading on this forum i thought i have a faulty TPS senor or FPR. I replaced the whole throttle body set including injectors, FPR and TPS and vaccum lines etc.(i bought them used). I checked and cleaned the plugs. and still having the same problem. I have the airbox still off trying to troubleshoot it. Whats next to replace or test? Any input would appreciated!!

Did you actually check the FPR?
Did you drain the old fuel and replace it with fresh stuff?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Also since you where pulling on and off the vacum lines make sure none of them are cracked or leaking. When you start it, does it stumble up high or just down low in the rpm range? You do synch the throttle bodies with the engine running by connecting a vacum hydrometer to each cylinder all at the same time and synching them to match.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I pulled the vaccum line off the side of the fpr and no gas is coming out. I drained all the gas out and put new gas and seafoam in the tank. I have not synced the tb. I will read more info on it and go buy a vaccum guage. The iat sensor is pluged in just not in the air box. I have no error codes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I looked at all the vaccum lines and they look fine, no cracks or anything.
I lost the key to the bike, so i pulled off the bottom of the ignition switch and am using that to start the bike. the diode on it was broke so i sodered a 2000 ohm resistor on the bottom of it.(Pink wire). i dont this will have anything to do with it running like crap but thought i should give u all the info.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fresh tank of gas no help. Started it, idle, die. Did it a couple times. Checked resistance on the tps, good. Pulled the sparkplugs seem fine but will post pics of them when I'm not on my phone. From what I've read the bike has to be running to sync the tb's. I can't get it to idle long enough to do that. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Idle is at about 1k to 1.5k. I have played with the idle adjuster. Even if I set the idle higher it still does the same thing. Very hard to start, rough idle for a min then dies. Bad ecu??

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Idle is at about 1k to 1.5k. I have played with the idle adjuster. Even if I set the idle higher it still does the same thing. Very hard to start, rough idle for a min then dies. Bad ecu??
Sounds right.
Do you have a power commander?
ECU would be the very last thing to check, especially if it just sat for 6 months.
Did you by chance hook up some of the injectors on the new TBs up incorrectly?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No power commander. The injectors came with the tb set. They seem seated in the fuel rail and they aren't leaking. The injector wiring harness came with the set already plugged in to the injectors. I can open the tb valve and see them spraying.

·
Registered
940 Posts
have you made sure all the vacuum lines are in the right places if they are missed arranged might cause bike to run bad

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Vaccum lines came on the tb set. They are the same way as the old set. Anybody have a vaccum diagram so I can double check? I haven't checked the timing. Is there a way to check it?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Vaccum lines came on the tb set. They are the same way as the old set. Anybody have a vaccum diagram so I can double check? I haven't checked the timing. Is there a way to check it?
Yes.
But unless you did something drastic while swapping TBs, its very unlikely to have altered the timing.

To check, remove the timing cover on the right side of the engine, and the valve cover.

Then align the mark on the timing rotor with the split in the crankcases and see if the timing marks on the cam line up flush with the top of the head.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All I did was swap the set. The rubber grommets were a pain in the a**. I'll pull the valve cover off. So the line sprocket in the timing cover has to match the cam mark in the head? They both should be straight up in down for example?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts