Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am new and not really sure where to post this. But I have a ? about my 2002 954. I was wondering if anyone has had the same ambition as me and wanted the fan to stay running when you hit the kill switch and the headlight to turn off. Currently as it sits the when i hit the kill switch after riding, the fan will turn off but the headlights will stay on. Is there anyway to change this? I'm sure I could figure it out eventually but if anyone has already done it without putting in say a toggle switch that would be great. I would like it to look stock. Not sure if its all tied into the computer or if it could be simply done by a little wire switching?

Thanks for all and any help

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
So I am new and not really sure where to post this. But I have a ? about my 2002 954. I was wondering if anyone has had the same ambition as me and wanted the fan to stay running when you hit the kill switch and the headlight to turn off. Currently as it sits the when i hit the kill switch after riding, the fan will turn off but the headlights will stay on. Is there anyway to change this? I'm sure I could figure it out eventually but if anyone has already done it without putting in say a toggle switch that would be great. I would like it to look stock. Not sure if its all tied into the computer or if it could be simply done by a little wire switching?

Thanks for all and any help
My first advice is to stop using the killswitch to kill the engine, that's what the ignition switch is for.
Why would you want the fan to keep running?
It's just draining your battery.
If the fan is still running when you stop I'd be investigating why.
Since you're stopping the inference is that you were just moving so the engine should be cool just from ambient airflow.
What temps are you seeing?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My first advice is to stop using the killswitch to kill the engine, that's what the ignition switch is for.
Since you're stopping the inference is that you were just moving so the engine should be cool just from ambient airflow.

Well if I were to turn it off using the ignition I still have the same problem as before with the fan shutting off. The reason I want my fan to stay on is so i can let it cool down after a long, hard ride. The temp is within normal operating temperature, but since I have not rode it for a few months (due to snow on the ground) I can not remember for sure what the temps were...somedays it would be hotter therefore I would like to let it sit with the fan running. A buddy of mine has an 07 R1 and he has to turn the key off so his headlights won't stay on but his fan will still run with the killswitch off. I know that by leavin the fan run it drains the battery but i only leave it on until the fan shuts off. I just assume it would be better on the bike/motor if I left the fan run to help cool it on those hot days.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You don't have to worry about the fan cooling it down after a hard ride. Since your engine isn't running, it isn't generating any heat. It will cool down quick enough by itself, no matter how hot it is.

If you want to wire the fan to stay on whenever the light is on, just wire the signal wire to the light. But I'm telling you, the only reason for a fan to blow on the engine is so that it doesn't generate more heat than is safe for it while it is running, and the fan will always come on if temps are unsafe.

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts

Well if I were to turn it off using the ignition I still have the same problem as before with the fan shutting off. The reason I want my fan to stay on is so i can let it cool down after a long, hard ride. The temp is within normal operating temperature, but since I have not rode it for a few months (due to snow on the ground) I can not remember for sure what the temps were...somedays it would be hotter therefore I would like to let it sit with the fan running. A buddy of mine has an 07 R1 and he has to turn the key off so his headlights won't stay on but his fan will still run with the killswitch off. I know that by leavin the fan run it drains the battery but i only leave it on until the fan shuts off. I just assume it would be better on the bike/motor if I left the fan run to help cool it on those hot days.
There is no reason to leave the fan running with the engine stopped.
My ZX6R does the same, if it's been hot enough to get the fan running when I stop, the fan will keep running for a few seconds after I've removed the key.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You don't have to worry about the fan cooling it down after a hard ride. Since your engine isn't running, it isn't generating any heat. It will cool down quick enough by itself, no matter how hot it is.

If you want to wire the fan to stay on whenever the light is on, just wire the signal wire to the light. But I'm telling you, the only reason for a fan to blow on the engine is so that it doesn't generate more heat than is safe for it while it is running, and the fan will always come on if temps are unsafe.
I do not want the fan to run when the light is on.....pretty much all i want is the light to turn off when i hit the killswitch and the fan to stay running...i just think that it is better for the bike.....maybe i'm wrong...i know all of the things that everyone is saying and am starting to lose hope at accomplishing what i have set out to do...which is have the fan be powered through the ignition and the light be powered through the killswitch

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
I do not want the fan to run when the light is on.....pretty much all i want is the light to turn off when i hit the killswitch and the fan to stay running...i just think that it is better for the bike.....maybe i'm wrong...i know all of the things that everyone is saying and am starting to lose hope at accomplishing what i have set out to do...which is have the fan be powered through the ignition and the light be powered through the killswitch
No, it's not better for the bike.
But, if you absolutely want the fan to continue to run just run wires directly to the battery through a switch and toggle it on and off manually.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Have you changed the coolant in your 954? When I purchased my 954 the first thing I did was change all the fluids because you never know how well the previous owner maintained the bike. I picked up some Honda coolant and drained/flushed out as much old coolant as possible. Since the coolant change I have yet to hear my fan come on. My bike rarely gets close to 210+ degrees even when sitting still.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.