Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey peeps,

Recently this has started, the symptoms are as follows;

- starting from warm, seems fine, autochoke idle not engaged - probably due to prev ride getting to correct temps, like cold temps trigger something and its getting stuck (read on)
- first start of the day, wasn't really cold overnight, starts fine with high autochoke idle. It used to reduce to standart idle range quicker than now.

- first start of the day, cold overnight. starts fine with high autochoke idle. Doesn't reduce to normal idle when engine is 45-50 deg C like it used to, now it stays on high idle until it hits approx 85 C then it cuts back to normal idle range. It takes longer than normal to get to operating temp, but it also revs much higher so cooling system may be fighting the autochoke because its not disengaging correctly?

Any tips and suggestions to narrow this down so im armed when presenting to bikeshop (hands on mechanical work isn't my forte).

Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Hey peeps,

Recently this has started, the symptoms are as follows;

- starting from warm, seems fine, autochoke idle not engaged - probably due to prev ride getting to correct temps, like cold temps trigger something and its getting stuck (read on)
- first start of the day, wasn't really cold overnight, starts fine with high autochoke idle. It used to reduce to standart idle range quicker than now.

- first start of the day, cold overnight. starts fine with high autochoke idle. Doesn't reduce to normal idle when engine is 45-50 deg C like it used to, now it stays on high idle until it hits approx 85 C then it cuts back to normal idle range. It takes longer than normal to get to operating temp, but it also revs much higher so cooling system may be fighting the autochoke because its not disengaging correctly?

Any tips and suggestions to narrow this down so im armed when presenting to bikeshop (hands on mechanical work isn't my forte).

Cheers!

How long is it since you've checked the fuel pressure regulator?
How old is the coolant and is the radiator full?
Otherwise, check the wax unit is operating properly.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never checked regulator.
Major service 10k km's ago, valve clearances, coolant flush etc.
Haven't checked the level, have no evidence suggesting its low as all temps are consistent.

The worst part is, if i get a lot of traffic lights after i start riding, as i ride the temp increases which works towards resetting the autochoke, but if i get a red light before it hits 83+ then because its strong idle the temp will go DOWN and hot hit 83+ so prolongs the process. Thismorning i didn't get any lights and it warmed up fine without me noticing much difference (although i know its there).

Always start the bike and allow it to reach 35 deg min before riding, have always done this. So when symptoms change its quite noticeable.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I had that problem when my coolant was low...

After you get that issue fixed you should put a fan over-ride switch on your bike so you can turn on your fan when you are riding in town... helps a lot to keep the engine temps down.

I leave mine on at all times while riding in town. :thumb:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, feel much more confident with this knowledge on my side.

will check coolant asap and this will certainly guide me in the right direction, will report my findings.

yeah booking it in for due service next week, just wanted to diagnose this better first so im not paying some dude 70 an hour to slowly and possibly incorrectly diagnose the bike.

thanks heaps guy's!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts