Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ridden for a while on plenty of bikes and I would have to say I smell just like exhaust everytime I ride my bike. It seems to be exessive to say the least. Heres some info,

02 954 with an Acripovic carbon fiber exhaust, it runs fine, doesnt have any error codes. Its completely stock accept for the pipe. I just put a new airfilter in, stock Honda. I think it has like 8000 miles on it. I didnt check the plugs, I should have.

Its just got a terrible exhaust smell. Its learchy below 3000 rpm then it clears up, which is normal. I think its probably running lean because of the pipe but... does anyone have any helpful hints. I run it fairly hard every once in a while, usually im below 4000 rpm though, just around town. Maybe im getting some buildup? If you dont have anything to add just tell me to go ride it fast and rev the hell out of it for long periods of time, because thats a better answer than nothing, and fun at the same time.

A power commander is in its far distant future.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
"Go ride it fast and rev the hell out of it for long periods of time." ;)

Seriously though, while I can't offer any advice, I can commiserate. My '02 954RR leaves me smelling like exhaust every time I ride it too. Mine also has an aftermarket pipe (and headers). The previous owner did disconnect the breather hose from the airbox and small amounts of oil would drip down the hot engine, making lots of white smoke at stop lights.

I just got the bike back from a tune-up and the shop reconnected the breather hose to the airbox. I'm currently waiting on my Power Commander so I can't say if the loose breather hose was the cause of the exhaust smell or not, but I'll post back to this thread once I get the Power Commander installed and a rideable map uploaded/created.

In the meantime, might want to invest in a full riding outfit if you ride it to and from work. :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have ridden for a while on plenty of bikes and I would have to say I smell just like exhaust everytime I ride my bike. It seems to be exessive to say the least. Heres some info,

02 954 with an Acripovic carbon fiber exhaust, it runs fine, doesnt have any error codes. Its completely stock accept for the pipe. I just put a new airfilter in, stock Honda. I think it has like 8000 miles on it. I didnt check the plugs, I should have.

Its just got a terrible exhaust smell. Its learchy below 3000 rpm then it clears up, which is normal. I think its probably running lean because of the pipe but... does anyone have any helpful hints. I run it fairly hard every once in a while, usually im below 4000 rpm though, just around town. Maybe im getting some buildup? If you dont have anything to add just tell me to go ride it fast and rev the hell out of it for long periods of time, because thats a better answer than nothing, and fun at the same time.

A power commander is in its far distant future.

Thanks for any help.
seem to have the same issue with mine. just fitted a blueflame can and now i stink! bike runs fine and im told that nothing needs adjusting/changing when fitting this can, but like you i have a very strong/rich exhaust smell???

·
Registered
857 Posts
I think its probably running lean because of the pipe but
The heavy exhaust smell is from running rich/fat, invest in a power commander and that should help out. Is the tip of your can covered in black soot? My 929 is tuned with a PC and it still has a heavy exhaust smell with the erion can on it, but does not soot up the pipe.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Its just got a terrible exhaust smell. Its learchy below 3000 rpm then it clears up, which is normal. I think its probably running lean because of the pipe but... does anyone have any helpful hints. I run it fairly hard every once in a while, usually im below 4000 rpm though, just around town.
The engine is not designed for running below about 4000rpm. Any amount of throttle that low is just flooding the engine with fuel it can't burn.

·
Registered
181 Posts
mine too has a blue flame and it smells when warming up in the mornings butonce its warm everythings fine. ive also got a p/c fitted and its preaty smooth down low.so i'd recomend the p/c.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts