Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, I have had a few problems with my 954 since i got it, but last week i got it running right for the first time. but after taking it for my first real spine i notice or should i say i heard a tapping sound from the head on the cam chain side. so i said it must be the valves that need to be set.
so i opened it up to check them and the all seem ok (.006 + - .001) for intake , and (.011 + - .001) for exh. i had a look at the cam chain as best i could and it looks ok.
So my question is what could be causing the tapping sound, could it be the CCT. and if so what do i do to fix it.:idunno::idunno::idunno: Please help,:(

·
Registered
226 Posts
leaks. a leak will present itself as a tapping noise. case in point, ever hear a ford truck pull away from a stop sign? they are notorious for leaking manifolds, sounds like tapping.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
leaks. a leak will present itself as a tapping noise. case in point, ever hear a ford truck pull away from a stop sign? they are notorious for leaking manifolds, sounds like tapping.
i have checked it with a sound rod and its coming from the right hand side of the head.

·
Registered
15 Posts
hi clem3 is it loader when it is cold and when it warms up does it quite dowm a little bit? that is what my bike does if u figure it out let me know couse i would like to fix mine also if there is a problem thanks ben

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi clem3 is it loader when it is cold and when it warms up does it quite dowm a little bit? that is what my bike does if u figure it out let me know couse i would like to fix mine also if there is a problem thanks ben
:thumb: hi Ben, nice to hear from you again. so we have another problem to be fixed, well did you check the valves setting on your yet , from what i have been reading yours sounds like it needs reshiming, my bike is ok when cold but as soon as i take it for a spine and it gets warm then i can hear the tapping .i have juut checked the valves setting on mine and there all ok , i am just putting mine back togeter again after doing the check and i am going to drive it for a few days and listen to it a bit more to make sure were the sound is coming from.. from what i have read on the forum here the cam chain tennioner gives problems and a lot of the guys here end up changing theirs to manaul tennioners, so i might change mine if i am sure it coming from there, let me know how you get on and best of luck with it :thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
552 Posts
the 954 is know for being louder then most bikes such as a valve tapping noise so yes the valve tapping noise is normal in these bikes.
There is a known issue with the CCT and alot of people have gone to the manual tensioners but i did replace mine with the factory one and that was about 28,000 miles ago.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the 954 is know for being louder then most bikes such as a valve tapping noise so yes the valve tapping noise is normal in these bikes.
There is a known issue with the CCT and alot of people have gone to the manual tensioners but i did replace mine with the factory one and that was about 28,000 miles ago.
does the manaul CCT make any difference to the taping sound,

·
Registered
21 Posts
Does your bike have a power commander on it? If you does you may find that the noise is the fuel injectors ticking away. I was very surprised to find this out after taking my 929 apart to look for the tick. See if you can reach in there with a long screwdriver or prybar and put the metal tip on an injector and listen at the other end. Worked for me.

PS This trick works for lots of things on cars and bikes.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does your bike have a power commander on it? If you does you may find that the noise is the fuel injectors ticking away. I was very surprised to find this out after taking my 929 apart to look for the tick. See if you can reach in there with a long screwdriver or prybar and put the metal tip on an injector and listen at the other end. Worked for me.

PS This trick works for lots of things on cars and bikes.
:thumb: thanks, I tryed that trick on the head and it sounded like it was coming from the right hand side ie the cam chain, but I,ll just check it again on the injectors, i have an elec preblem at the min and can get the bike started so it might be a few days before i can check it out, thanks again mate :thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No problem. Good luck with it.
I got that elec sorted (kind of) it a loose map connector. Well anyway i got the bike started and running ok for a tew min this monrning and i checked the injectors with the screw driver trick and you seem to be right, it sounds like the tapping or ticking noise is coming from the injector, why or is this normal

·
Registered
21 Posts
Im led to believe that it has something to do with the power commander. At least for me. When i have a map loaded the injectors are pretty noisy. When i load a zero map i find the quiet down substantially.

This tells me that the power commander is just asking more of the injectors then maybe what they were originally designed to do. Do i think its a problem? Maybe. Maybe not. Mine seems to be fine. If one goes then they are easy to replace.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Im led to believe that it has something to do with the power commander. At least for me. When i have a map loaded the injectors are pretty noisy. When i load a zero map i find the quiet down substantially.

This tells me that the power commander is just asking more of the injectors then maybe what they were originally designed to do. Do i think its a problem? Maybe. Maybe not. Mine seems to be fine. If one goes then they are easy to replace.
:thumb: thanks for your help

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just picked up a 2000 929 and have been all over the place to learn as much as possible about them. the CCT seems to be a notorious problem with both the 929 and 954. luckily its not a serious problem and can be fixed relatively easy.

As for the injector thing, i haven't gotten that far yet.

just my :2cents:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just picked up a 2000 929 and have been all over the place to learn as much as possible about them. the CCT seems to be a notorious problem with both the 929 and 954. luckily its not a serious problem and can be fixed relatively easy.

As for the injector thing, i haven't gotten that far yet.

just my :2cents:
when you say fix relatively, do you mean with the manaul tennioner,

1 - 20 of 23 Posts