Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
I've been searching this forum for info for quite some time but I just joined.
Through all my searching I have seen a lot of people mention that the factory 954 con rods won't hold up to power adders. Seems like anyone that mentions they are thinking of turboing or loking for a turbo kit for their blade gets a couple people saying "get new rods, the stockers just won't hold up to that."
Now I am just wondering if anyone has any references to specific instances of this happening. I can't seem to find anything about an actual rod failure. I saw someone with a turbo 929 on here qute sometime ago and I believe he was running stock rods(could easily be mistaken though). And an older 900 running a lot of boost on stock rods (albeit larger journals on both those references).
My reason for asking is, I recently turbo'd my 954, I'm running over 10psi(10.2) of boost and keeping the mixtures quite rich and retarding the timing. I do plan on having a more "built" motor for next season but for now I'm planning on running everything factory. I've run a few hundred km's now and it's all fine but if there are any instances of actual 954 rod failure (with or without power adders) I may rethink my position and turn the boost down. Also if these instances are just caused by bearing failure, that's usually a sign of improper oiling or too tight of tolerances, not neccesarily weak rods.

I realize it's brazen first post but I really am looking for input here.

Thanks.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Mine had a bad bearing. Everything I've read so far that had to do with rods or engine noise was due to bearings. I haven't read about an actual rod problem. the relatively low mass and short stroke on these rods, along with the fact they are semi-balanced, should allow for a turbo. But you never know wha these extra stresses can cause.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya, I was thinking that might have been it, and the posts I'd seen before were just from misinformed people. But still I thought I'd ask. I don't expect the engine to hold up for as long as it would stock but as long as there's not a major weak point I'll take my chances.

Any other opinions out there?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts