Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 954 which has been getting more and more difficult to start. For the first few attempts its as if there's no fuel being sent at all. Then after a few more one of the cylinders starts to cough and splutter. A few more again and two or three cylinders splutter and if I'm lucky after that, the engine starts and everything is fine. When its mis-behaved like this it generally starts ok (first or second press of the button) the next day.

Today I tried to start it after the bike has stood for three weeks and no joy. I ran the battery down trying to start the bike for about ten minutes. I then used jump-leads from my car but still failed to get the engine going. I never got past the "one cylinder occasionally coughing and spluttering" phase.

The fuel's young, the spark is good. I've read elsewhere on this forum that a diaphragm in the fuel pressure regulator might be the problem. Is there anyway I can check? Is it an easy/cheap job to change the regulator?

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
169 Posts
If it was the fuel reg it would not run right anytime. It kinda sounds like a vacuum leak in the fuel system. If you have a vacuum leak the fuel would not stay pressurized and you would have to wait for it to reach enough pressure to fire. One way to test this theory is to turn the ignition on and off several times to allow the fuel pump to build pressure before you try to start it. If it starts the check fuel system( fuel rail, injector seats, hoses) for a leak.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts