Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it would be the shift lever or the new rearset I put. I run first, second, third, but fourth jumps out to third again.

To avoid the problem I pull from third to fifth gear. I run all the gears except fourth.

The service manual says:

"Transmission jumps out of gear"
*Worn shift drum stopper arm
*Weak or broken shift arm return spring
*Loose stopper plate bolt
*Bent shift fork shaft
*Damaged shift drum cam groove
*Damaged or bend shift forks
*Worn gear engagement dogs or slots

What is the possible reason of this issue if every gear works but one not.

I will be pleased with your help.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I thought it would be the shift lever or the new rearset I put. I run first, second, third, but fourth jumps out to third again.

To avoid the problem I pull from third to fifth gear. I run all the gears except fourth.

The service manual says:

"Transmission jumps out of gear"
*Worn shift drum stopper arm
*Weak or broken shift arm return spring
*Loose stopper plate bolt
*Bent shift fork shaft
*Damaged shift drum cam groove
*Damaged or bend shift forks
*Worn gear engagement dogs or slots

What is the possible reason of this issue if every gear works but one not.

I will be pleased with your help.

Bent shift fork or worn dogs.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Worn Drive Dogs can also be a problem, I replaced everything in my tranny and still have the same problem with 4th. It's the drive dogs in my case.

You can drop the shift drum and shift forks from the bottom of the motor, with the clutch pack pulled. The bad news, is if it's not that ( shift drum or shift forks), then the motor case will have to be split for the tranny to be removed.

You can either A. Pull the motor, which includes the entire rear swing arm assembly. I did this the last time, put it on a furniture dolly, and split the case that way.

B. Wench the bike up ( with the fuel tank removed), leaving the motor in the chassis, and flip it upside down ( still attached the hoist).

The latter was recommended to me by a motorcycle mechanic. I did A. and it wasn't that hard.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Worn Drive Dogs can also be a problem, I replaced everything in my tranny and still have the same problem with 4th. It's the drive dogs in my case.

You can drop the shift drum and shift forks from the bottom of the motor, with the clutch pack pulled. The bad news, is if it's not that ( shift drum or shift forks), then the motor case will have to be split for the tranny to be removed.

You can either A. Pull the motor, which includes the entire rear swing arm assembly. I did this the last time, put it on a furniture dolly, and split the case that way.

B. Wench the bike up ( with the fuel tank removed), leaving the motor in the chassis, and flip it upside down ( still attached the hoist).

The latter was recommended to me by a motorcycle mechanic. I did A. and it wasn't that hard.

I don't see any advantage at all in flipping the bike over. Pulling the engine is the easiest part of the job, and trying to disassemble it while it's still attached to the frame would be a major pain in the arse.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ya I agree, I am about to do it again, and I will be removing the motor like I did before. But it was mentioned to me, and I thought I would pass it along.

I may have asked this question before, but have you had your gears undercut? A mechanic friend that's an AMA mechanic from time to time, said the drive dogs would last longer with an undercut.

I am on a tight budget and that's an expense I really cannot afford.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Ya I agree, I am about to do it again, and I will be removing the motor like I did before. But it was mentioned to me, and I thought I would pass it along.

I may have asked this question before, but have you had your gears undercut? A mechanic friend that's an AMA mechanic from time to time, said the drive dogs would last longer with an undercut.

I am on a tight budget and that's an expense I really cannot afford.

Me personally?
No, although I do have a transmission in one of my GSXR's that was undercut up and down by a previous owner that raced her. I personally don't have any need for cutting the dogs as I generally make very clean shifts.
I probably wouldn't agree that the dogs last any longer by being cut though. As long as you are shifting smoothly and keep the engine running on fresh clean oil the dogs should last practically forever, certainly for the life of the engine.

If you're on a tight budget you can continue riding the bike indefinately by simply skipping through the damaged gear. You won't do any further damage.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well guys, I have the fork shaft, shift forks and waiting for the gaskets and gearshift drum set. Hope this parts solve the problem, I don't want to remove the engine and disassemble it to replace the fourth gear

1 - 8 of 8 Posts