Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I pull the engine off my 02 954rr to repair the transmission and figured I would go ahead and completely disassemble the the engine to inspect the pistons and bores while I had it apart. I found a lot of scoring on the cylinder walls and piston skirts so I washed and cleaned everything up, removed a top ring from one piston and placed it into the cylinders one at time to see how much clearance was between the ring and the cylinder wall, well at the areas where the skirts scored the walls there is about a 10 thousands gap between the ring and cylinder so I figure ill bore the cylinders 1mm over and replace the pistons but I'm not having any luck finding pistons and I'm also wondering if it will work without having the cylinders coated, hope I posted this in the correct place and any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
2,918 Posts
Some info here
and

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,245 Posts
It has to be bored and coated. Millennium does a good job with the Alusil. Give them a look. As far as pistons go, keep hunting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It has to be bored and coated. Millennium does a good job with the Alusil. Give them a look. As far as pistons go, keep hunting.

thanks for the info,
Some info here
and

thanks for the info, I'm packing it up today sending it off to millennium

·
Premium Member
2,918 Posts
Yes but you have to change the whole transmission box , not just parts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Would you guys know if transmission gear from a 929 swap into a 954
Yes but you have to change the whole transmission box , not just parts
MrPickwick is 100% correct.
The whole gear set needs to be changed over, not just individual gears.
You will also notice a difference with the dog gear configuration. One set has 4 dogs the other has 5 dogs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MrPickwick is 100% correct.
The whole gear set needs to be changed over, not just individual gears.
You will also notice a difference with the dog gear configuration. One set has 4 dogs the other has 5 dogs.
thanks, I was a little confused on the last reply but you just cleared it up, and I've found a good gear set

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good to hear! Good luck with the interchange. Now I need to get my lazy butt into gear and change the gear sets on my two 954's. I have everything, just too much procrastination going on.
I'm assuming your 4th gear is gone? Doesn't stay in under load?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah case looks ok but with my luck I probly just haven't found he bad spot yet. Lol it'll probly be in the cylinder half of the case thats at millennium right now

·
Registered
9 Posts
thanks for the info,

thanks for the info, I'm packing it up today sending it off to millennium
They did a fine job on my case, before you start putting it back together, be sure to clean everything exceptionally well. Run a thread chaser through EVERY HOLE. I had a few that I missed cleaning and had to do some last minute cleaning with brake clean and paper towels

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I haven't heard so I don't know but id like to compare them, I'm supposed to have my cylinders back by the end of May also they say the pistons are on back order but should have them around the same time near the end of May

1 - 20 of 20 Posts