Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope I'm in the right section so hear goes, about a year ago I had the common cct noise so I replaced the original chain adjuster with an adjustable one and problem solved all noise was gone, flash forward to about 6 six weeks ago it started rattling again just barely tho so I adjusted it again and it was quite again for about two weeks then it started rattling again so I tightened it up a little more till the rattle was gone and then added about a 1/4 turn and set the locking nut and took it for a ride and all was good. The next day I started it up and it was rattling again but I rode it for a couple miles anyways just to see if it would quiten down but it did not it got louder so when I got home I pulled the clutch cover to inspect what I could of the chain and guides and everything looked good from what I could see so I adjusted the tensioner again and felt the tension on the chain and it was pretty darn tight so I put the clutch cover back on started it up and it was rattling like crazy so I put even more adjustment into it and tightened the adjust till it was quite, I took it for a ride and after about 100 yards I could hear it again, brought it back home tightened it up more set the locking nut, rode it about 30 minutes and all was good, hoped on it the next day fired it up and there was the rattle again, so tightened the adjuster up AGAIN and ran it and it was good no noise after a day of riding. I go back out there yesterday start it up and the bastard is rattling again, so my question is has anybody else had this problem with an adjustable tensioner, or is my chain stretched and fixing to break, idk I'm all out of ideas so any knowledge would be appreciated

·
Registered
52 Posts
The problem with manual cam chain tensioners is how tight is too tight?, hmmm, my advice is buy a new automatic tensioner from Honda and sleep easy!.

PS I’m not saying you don’t have another issue leading to the chain apparently slackening, just saying for how much a replacement Honda tensioner costs I’d go that way.
PPS detonation (pinking) can sometimes sound like a loose cam chain.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm having a similar issue with my unit, I changed it at 90k km (55k miles) and at 100k km it is making that rattling noise arount 3-4k rpm, both oem cct :(

I guess it is 'normal' and I don't think I will ever change it again, it's a pain in the ass

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks I kinda had the same thoughts on how tight is to too tight and I my called my Honda dealer to order the stock tensioner just also wondering if I should change the chain also but I just don't see how it could have stretched that much and I maybe it hasn't stretched at all guess it could be the vibrations from engine causing the tensioner to back off idk.....but one thing I do know is if I had know about how big of a pain it was going to be before I changed the tensioner I would have went back with stock. Maybe the manual tensioner is somehow not doing its job, it's been on there and done fine for 3k miles but the original was on there for 20k before it gave issues, I'm going to put the original style on and see how it goes.......thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
Shouldn’t be too much of a pain to fit provided you move the clutch cable bracket out of the way, replacing the 2 original bolts with Allen head set screws helps because you can use a ball end Allen key to tighten them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks I kinda had the same thoughts on how tight is to too tight and I my called my Honda dealer to order the stock tensioner just also wondering if I should change the chain also but I just don't see how it could have stretched that much and I maybe it hasn't stretched at all guess it could be the vibrations from engine causing the tensioner to back off idk.....but one thing I do know is if I had know about how big of a pain it was going to be before I changed the tensioner I would have went back with stock. Maybe the manual tensioner is somehow not doing its job, it's been on there and done fine for 3k miles but the original was on there for 20k before it gave issues, I'm going to put the original style on and see how it goes.......thanks
So I finally just pulled the valve cover off and all the 10mm cam sprocket bolts were loose 😐 so tightened them up and readjusted the tensioner and all is good now.......only thing I can figure is maybe the tensioner was to tight and worked them loose idk but for now it's good again I been riding it a lot with now issues

1 - 7 of 7 Posts