Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone wanna buy my bike for $7k :D ? (2002 954RR with 56000km on it)

if I'm in 4th and on the throttle at 5-7k rpm, it will often automatically downshift to 3rd. Just started happening this season.

When I bought the bike used in 2004, sometimes it would hit false neutral if I'm sloppy shifting from 3rd to 4th, but no real problems. now my bike is turning into an automatic.

is this a sign that something's about to blow up in my face?

·
Registered
554 Posts
urameatball said:
anyone wanna buy my bike for $7k :D ? (2002 954RR with 56000km on it)

if I'm in 4th and on the throttle at 5-7k rpm, it will often automatically downshift to 3rd. Just started happening this season.

When I bought the bike used in 2004, sometimes it would hit false neutral if I'm sloppy shifting from 3rd to 4th, but no real problems. now my bike is turning into an automatic.

is this a sign that something's about to blow up in my face?
Well, it sure doesn't sound good!!!!!! Sounds like you have worn/damaged gearbox parts.....although at that mileage I don't really know how/why.
I've read of others who have had gearbox problems on the 954, but again I don't know the reason(s). I don't believe there is a "fault" with the 954 gearbox so can only put it down to severe abuse by the owner. In your case I assume it was the previous owner. I always blip the trottle on downshifts to match engine speed/gearbox speed and enable smooth gear changes, but I know a lot of people just "crash" through the gears....which can't do the selector rods, engagement dogs any good.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Maybe the guy before you was so excited to have a new bike, He was thinking, "Hey I don't even have to set the choke. In fact, I don't even have to use the clutch to shift once I'm in motion. Sweet!"

Might be the case :idunno:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sure sounds as if the dogs are worn off the shift forks. Had the same thing happen to my cbr600 but it was between 1st & 2nd.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm... I guess the last owner really did abuse it HARD (as suspected).
oh well, I'll just keep riding as it is. as long as it doesn't explode on me, I'm fine :).

·
Registered
23 Posts
It is worth getting it looked at & a quote on repairing.
Personally, it drives me nuts when things are not running properly.

Daryl

·
Registered
554 Posts
urameatball said:
hmm... I guess the last owner really did abuse it HARD (as suspected).
oh well, I'll just keep riding as it is. as long as it doesn't explode on me, I'm fine :).

I would be nervous riding a bike with a "faulty" gearbox, never know what it is going to do, or when. Imagine it slipping into a false neutral at full lean in a corner.....yikes!!!! :eek:

Wasn't someone advertising a low mileage motor for $700 in the "For Sale" section of this forum?

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
You don't need a new motor. The tranny sounds like it was abused either by some who was hamfisted with the clutch, or a stunter working on his highway wheelies. Either way, the transmission can be re-worked for less cost and hassle than a new motor.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Red Rider said:
You don't need a new motor. The tranny sounds like it was abused either by some who was hamfisted with the clutch, or a stunter working on his highway wheelies. Either way, the transmission can be re-worked for less cost and hassle than a new motor.
I didn't know how much it would cost for a dealer to tear the gearbox down and fix it.........more than $700?.... or less? Thought maybe it would be cheaper to buy a good used motor and end up with lots of other spare parts?

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
I can't give you an estimate on the cost, but some of our mechanical veterans can probably give you a better idea of what's involved.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just got off the phone. I have a buddy with an 02 954 and he is having the same exact issues. He has a little over 10k. I ride with him very frequently, and as far as I see, he does not abuse the bike. He was told about $1200 roughly from a neighborhood bike shop. (not the Honda Stealership)

·
Registered
630 Posts
mikeinjax said:
Just got off the phone. I have a buddy with an 02 954 and he is having the same exact issues. He has a little over 10k. I ride with him very frequently, and as far as I see, he does not abuse the bike. He was told about $1200 roughly from a neighborhood bike shop. (not the Honda Stealership)
Wow $1200 and only 10k!:shocked:

Makes me nervous about my 1K hitting neutral on 1st-2nd shifts.

·
Registered
554 Posts
clutchslip said:
Wow $1200
I figured parts would be at least $200-$300 (or more) and with labor at $75 an hour you soon rack up another $400-$500. (or more) . That's why I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to buy a (low mileage) used motor. Of course if you don't know the history of the used motor it could have the same problems!

·
Registered
564 Posts
I wouldn't worry about a 1000rr gearbox, the trans is cartriage type, meaning it slips out without engine removal, to the best of my knowledge anyhow...

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
clutchslip said:
Makes me nervous about my 1K hitting neutral on 1st-2nd shifts.
that just means you're pussy shifting. don't be afraid to jam on that thing.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
dattaway said:
Shift forks are about $30 and gears are $40 to $80, depending where you shop. Fun weekend project.
I would add the 40 bucks for a shop manual to those prices . . .

·
Registered
89 Posts
abtech said:
I would add the 40 bucks for a shop manual to those prices . . .
I would say a tranny service is right at a 10 on the scale of maintenance. I just got done doing a tranny change on my F4I and it wasn't a weekend job thats for sure. You have to take the bike off the engine, and split the cases. Splitting the cases wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the inner clutch hub. You have to hold that while removing the clutch nut and if you don't hold it with the proper tool you WILL break the inner clutch hub. After that since I was that deep I changed the entire tranny dogs, forks shafts and all. Now I have to test her out at Barber in a few weeks. I'ld say give yourself, and a friend at least 2 weeks of after work bike tinkering to get the job done. Be sure to have a shop manual, and for christ sakes when the book tells you to use a special tool use it. The part you break will cost alot more than the tool you should've bought and will end up still having to buy to reinstall. Also use your torque wrenches and lock tight. Good luck ro and if you want a couple pics of what it intales look here. http://www.motomummy.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=15076 Hope that helps Bro.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts