Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I know this is been asked a ton but I have searched a ton and haven't found the exact problem. I just got a 2003 954 and it has a loud knock when running. It seems to get faster with rpm but it dosnt seem to be there when the rpm is going down. I'm going to do a compression test tomorrow. But kinda thinking it's valves ?it's like if I accelerate quickly and pull the clutch in it almost sounds like it's slapping really fast. Like a floating valve ?I'm not sure . Going to try and rent one of those scope cameras as well and see what I can see through the spark plug hole . Any thoughts ?
Thanks in advance Chris

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've looked at the cct it seems tight ? Or do they fail and still able to be tight and make that noise ? This bike is new to me so I don't know much about them. I'm going to search this now thanks .

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
First thing I'd check is the oil... level and viscosity. Old (and inadequate) oil will SURELY give you "valve taps" which can be loud.

Second, I'd check valve tolerances. Valve seats and guides can wear and/or get damaged = loss of power AND added noise.

Third, go for that CCT. Unfortunately, an all-to-common failure in our beloved 954s. Several users have gone to an aftermarket manual Cam Chain Tensioner with positive results. I'd contact them, and weigh your options.

Fourth... could be them pistons rattling around in those cylinders. Let's hope not.

Get back to us, and keep everyone posted here :deal: There'll surely be others that come across this thread, with your very same issue, looking for help :thumb:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK. When I had it opened up I can see the cam chain it does seem tight. I can poke at it with a screw driver and it has tension. But wondering if maybe not enough tension?and that is what you are thinking ?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Is it a knock or a rattle? If it's a rattle, could be CCT. If it's a knock it could be any number of things, how does it ride?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The oil level is good .but I will go get a new filter today and do a oil change.and buy a set of feeler gauges . The guy I bought it off of said that the noise started while he was on a ride he immediately pulled over and he trailered the bike home. He said there was no power loss it just got really loud. I've already drained the tank and tried new fuel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It has tons of power still. It is a definite knock.its really loud but if you give it a shot of throttle the sound sometimes disappears. Other times it almost sounds like the sound flutteres . I mean gets really fast then gets quite for a second

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I meant disappears when the throttle is released and coming back down to the idle . Then starts the knock again

·
Registered
80 Posts
If it was the CCT surely it would get quicker and louder?, when you reved the bike.

Personally I would let a shop take a listen to it, it sounds to metallic to be a blow from the exhaust.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes it does get quicker and louder. Life has been busy haven't had a chance to tear it apart yet . The chain looks tight but wondering if it could still be to loose while it is running ?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yes it does get quicker and louder. Life has been busy haven't had a chance to tear it apart yet . The chain looks tight but wondering if it could still be to loose while it is running ?
Tensioner works by keeping the chain at a constant....tension, the spring could be on its way out and is holding the chain tight enough to a point where its not going to slip, but not tight enough to give you the warning ticking noise.

That's of course if it is the cam chain tensioners, Honda have a passion for making two really crappy parts for their bikes, one is the tensioner and the other is the regulator/rectfier.

One thing you can do is to get a mechanics stethoscope put the end where the tensioner is and listen, and then check where you think the noise is coming from, it will become obvious then.

The problem with engine noises is that they can seem to travel as well.

Personally if you cannot find the source I would really get it looked at by a mechanic, better safe than sorry.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts