Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay what will let the bike crank but not prime the pump? This is the first mostly modern Honda I've worked on...previous bikes if one of the safeties was tripped it wouldn't crank at all. This engine cranks, shows neutral on the dash, tip sensor in place or bypassed doesn't matter. I have tried replacing all relays, I have replaced all fuses, kills switch is working, pump is working if applied 12v directly to the terminals, kickstand switch is bypassed (though I believe this would cause the bike to not crank), there is no clutch switch but I believe it should still fire in neutral.

Where should I check first?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Just to rule out the obvious, are you certain that the emergency stop/run switch (right side clip-on/bar) is in the correct position ?

Disregard if this has been checked out; it can be overlooked by n00bs as well as experienced riders from time to time... :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes the kill switch was checked out and working properly.

To add to this, after it got a little darker out while trying to sort this thing out I discovered that there was no backlight to the dash...except when the kill switch was off and the start button was being pressed. Neat stuff. Also there's a red plug with one conductor (black and something else...it was worn and couldn't distinguish what it was). I have no idea what this plugs into but I believe all the black wires are grounds...if I applied 12v to it, though, the fuel pump started running.

I decided that there was something wrong with that harness and switched to a different one and now have a new set of problems. Now when I turn the key on the pump primes, cranks with the button, but when I got no spark. Done for the night...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went back out and played with it a little more and I'm pretty sure everything is trying to work except the ignition (spark). It's running gas (you can smell it), cranking, compressing, etc...just no spark.

·
Registered
25 Posts
yes the kill switch was checked out and working properly.

To add to this, after it got a little darker out while trying to sort this thing out I discovered that there was no backlight to the dash...except when the kill switch was off and the start button was being pressed. Neat stuff. Also there's a red plug with one conductor (black and something else...it was worn and couldn't distinguish what it was). I have no idea what this plugs into but I believe all the black wires are grounds...if I applied 12v to it, though, the fuel pump started running.

I decided that there was something wrong with that harness and switched to a different one and now have a new set of problems. Now when I turn the key on the pump primes, cranks with the button, but when I got no spark. Done for the night...
That red plug is the crank position sensor, pump won’t prime without that connected. It’s part of the circuit gets plugged into a power commander, if pc removed might have been left dangling.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oops thought I updated all of these

Yeah I missed both plugs that come off the coil circuit over the left side of the engine. Got them both set up and test fired the engine without trouble.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts