Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a hard time deciding on which bike to get. Should i go with a 954 with a better price and cheaper insurance or the new 1000 with all its new gadgets,dampner,and more CC's but also 20lbs.heavier than the 954 not to mention insurance would be more but the 1000 looks so darn good. What should I do? Can someone help me shine the light on this darkness

ICE

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Personally, I don't really like the way the 1000RR looks. I think the lines on my 2002 954 looks way better with the can on the side and all that trunk space (which you lose on the 2004 due to the muffler under the seat).

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
You don't know if the new 1000 is 20 lbs heavier, only Honda knows. You should wait until at least the 'zines report power/weight on the new bike.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Only you can decide on the financial reasons for buying the 954 or the 1000. Just know this. The 600RR's performance far exceeds what the 'specs' say it should be. I think it's fair to say that the new 1000 is gonna be all of that, and more. They had a lot of time to develop this bike. They say it's based on the GP bike, but in reality, it's built on the same engine configuration that the 600RR has. I will really be suprised and disappointed if this thing isn't a rocket that will be the most stable Honda sportbike ever made. The stability of the 600 chassis is amazing, and with the damper this thing should be able to rip through twisty stuff like nothing we've seen before.

Bottom line here is that I would not decide on anything right away. Wait to see what all the reviews have to say about the bike, and how it stacks up to the other big boys. You'll still have plenty of time to pick up a 954 if you aren't impressed, and the prices will only drop as more time passes.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
They both suck. Get the new R1. It is perfect.

Seriously, though: Why is it everyone is stuck on some numbers some magazine pulled out of thin air?
Honda never released these numbers. Nobody else is reporting them as official.
Oh, and how did they come to them? Honda has yet to release dry weight or crank power figures.
Did they somehow get an early release model on a dyno and scale?
If so, in all reality the weight and power figures are quite good for wet weight and rear wheel power.
The current R1 weighs more than 392lbs wet, as does the GSXR. None of them put 163HP to the wheel, either. Yamaha's claimed dry weight will put it over 400lbs wet. Real world wet weights are always at least 25-30lbs heavier than manufacturer claimed dry weight figures.
So, is your glass half empty or half full?
Either way, these numbers are meaningless figures that some magazine decided to come up with for publicity.
And it is working quite well.

·
Registered
502 Posts
A friend of mine is in the same situation, wait for the 1000, or get a 954 cheap. I asked what the 1000 would allow him to do on the street - even the track(day) that he wouldn't be able to do on the 954, speed-wise. Ask yourself the same thing. On the street, the limitation is the environment, on the track, for just about everyone on this forum and everyone I know and ride with, the limitation is the rider, not the hardware they are riding.

I ask this question of myself every time I feel myself instinctively reach for my wallet when something new pops up in the OEM model line. It's the question that will see my 929 sticking around for a while.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Jus' you wait.
The 1000RR will prove itself vs the competition, or not.
The 954's will only be cheaper every day.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
BDA116 : They both suck. Get the new R1. It is perfect.
Bwaahahahahaha. Yeah man, it looks 100 times better than the competition, and it's gonna make 180 horsepower and be the

Better yet, if you had $11k in pretend money, which one would you buy?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not purchasing anytime soon--I'm waiting until the 1000 comes out and I'll see how it compares to the rest of the liter bike world and my likings.

Oh yeah Bacchus sorry about the misspell on damper or dampner but you know what I meant though

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Please, nothing personal Ice - just taking a cheap shot when the occasion arises As do most members here - that's one of the reasons it is a fun place. Nothing like a good

·
Registered
525 Posts
Well I guess you'll just have to wait for the new 1000 to come out.

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
Bacchus : Please, nothing personal Ice - just taking a cheap shot when the occasion arises     As do most members here - that's one of the reasons it is a fun place.  Nothing like a good  
Blasphemer...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'd keep waiting...  You know sooner or later, no matter how good the 1000RR is, something else will come along that's better and you'll have a piece of crap 1000RR that's not nearly light or powerful enough to tolerate. Of course, the flip-side of this is you'll still be riding that '99 R1 or whatever until someone finally makes the perfect motorcycle...

·
Registered
925 Posts
Bottom Line for Me---if you need the 1000RR cuz youve rung out your 929 lap time wise---and need some extra ponies---there is NO choice---if you want to cruz around on the street the 954 is more than sufficient---but trying to make a bonified trackbike out of a 954 is a losing proposition---too much $--too little HP

·
Registered
755 Posts
Slipkid : I'd keep waiting...  You know sooner or later, no matter how good the 1000RR is, something else will come along that's better and you'll have a piece of crap 1000RR that's not nearly light or powerful enough to tolerate.  Of course, the flip-side of this is you'll still be riding that '99 R1 or whatever until someone finally makes the perfect motorcycle...

·
Registered
102 Posts
I made my choice back in May of this year. It was at best a guess, but I am glad anyway. The physical size of the new R-1 and 1000rr are almost the same size as the 600's. I ride my 954 up and down the West Coast and I want some comfort so that I can do 375-450 mile days up in the Northern Calli area--you Bay Area Guys know what I mean. So with more power and electro-techno thingies, -how long and how many miles are you really planning on riding??? Yes 2004 will be awesome, but not everybody races or rides just on the track.
Sugoi8

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I agree to wait until the 04s actually come out to make up your mind. That way, you'll be able to make an educated decision on which 04 bike is right for you. Or if a leftover 03 is the way to go, it will be even cheaper once the 04 is sitting next to it.

As for me, my 929 is doing just fine.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts