Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 03' 954 started over heating while riding a few weeks ago. I figured it was air in the system or something minor since I had recently replaced the coolant and oil after replacing the water pumps two O rings. I didn't ride for a few days and forgot about it until I rode and it hit around 220* on the highway doing 65. I figured with the amount of air flowing it wouldn't get that high regardless. After talking with my brother we whittled it down to the thermostat, radiator cap, or thermostat sensor. I ordered the parts and waited for the parts to arrive. I read up on the process of getting to the thermostat and since I didn't want to remove the tank and throttle bodies, a couple hours turned into all day. Long story, but in the end I had to remove the fuel rail and lift the throttle bodies to get to the 2nd bolt in the thermostat. After buttoning it all back up the 54 was spewing fuel and after tearing it down found two of the O rings on the injectors got torn! I am now waiting for those to arrive. On a side note, the fan has been turning on by itself when the bike is off, key out of the ignition and draining the battery. Maybe a fan relay? Anyways, it's been 2 weeks since I've ridden, and in HI that's a long time, just thought I'd vent some frustration.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Did you have a coolant leak on the water pump? If you see coolant leaking from the weep hole on the bottom of the pump where it inserts into the motor you have a bad water pump. This means the internal seal in the pump is bad and the entire pump assembly needs replaced. The o-ring on the shaft prevents oil from leaking out of the motor.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was leaking a small amount of coolant, so I tried to replace the water pump gasket first, and ended up pulling the whole pump out while try into remove the cover. This pinched the o ring and caused an oil leak. When I replaced that o ring a replaced the one for the cover, and checked the water pump, which was pristine on the inside, looked brand new. I rode for almost 2 months until I got a temp problem.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So it started overheating again after replacing the thermo, temp sensor, rad cap, flushing the coolant and running fine for a while. I'm just going to assume the last thing to replace would be the water pump. I'll be ordering it in the next few days

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
What temp is the fan kicking on and off?
Did you burp the cooling system, and you saw air come out right?
I suspect a bad thermo switch or sensor, depending on which you have.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And I believe I burped the system well enough. I think I read that you fill it, run the bike, turn it off, remove the rad cap, fill it again, cycle like this until it is full. I did not see any air coming out though. Did you have a different method that is better?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
And I believe I burped the system well enough. I think I read that you fill it, run the bike, turn it off, remove the rad cap, fill it again, cycle like this until it is full. I did not see any air coming out though. Did you have a different method that is better?

Refer to the manual.
Let the engine idle until the thermostat opens, then blip the throttle several times to about 5000RPM to bleed the air out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i was having an overheating problem with my 02. but the engine had just been rebuilt by shenandoah honda. and i new i was going to have problems when after 1/2 a mile my camchain tensioner backed out and bent my valves! shenandoah honda would not warranty the work. tried to say it was my fault? so i got a brand new head and installed it. after about a month it started overheating. and leaking oil around the head gasket near the timimg chain side. when i pulled it all apart we ran a straight edge on the head thinking it was warped. straight as an arrow. so i checked the top case. and somehow the surface the head mounts to has a dent near the timing chain. my best guess is that someone at shenandoah honda dropped it and didnt bother to tell anyone. so with no money left to spend i crossed my fingers and used some of the copper RTV all over the head gasket put it back together and crossed my fingers. and now i have no problems at all!

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Krtalian - how'd you come out with this?
Bladeracer said it true, except I like to leave the rad cap off as I monitor the temp. Once your hit about 170F degrees, you see movement in the radiator, that's when your thermostat opens and circulation begins. That's when the air bubbles will burp out. Keep the bike on it's sidestand to help. I roll the throttle between idle and 3-4K rpms. If your bike reaches 190F degrees or so, the coolant will want to swell over the top of the rad opening, so be careful.
It's how I always do it, works great for me every time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jondog, I looked up the procedure on how to burp the system, but now I have another problem to fix first; the battery keeps dying on me! I just bought and installed a new battery, rode a few times, and of course one day I went for a ride, no power. So basically I had to wait for some funds to come in, and have ordered a new water pump and stator. Once those get in, and I re-fill the system I'll be repeating the burping once again.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So an update: I got in the new water pump and stator, took off the left fairing, decided to check the overflow res again, surprise! Bone dry. Makes me think there was just air in the system, especially since I haven't noticed any leaking fluid. As soon as I figure out the electrical problem, I'm going to re-burp the system, hopefully properly and I won't need the new water pump.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
The water pump is dead easy to change anyway - just make sure you have a new o ring for the shaft :)

If you've ordered the stator, hopefully it's that at fault, and not the R/R. I assume you tested them both before ordering parts?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi guys,

A friends 2003 954 is overheating because the fan isn't coming on until 118 degrees (celcius) or even until it starts blinking at 122 to 132. This is a UK spec bike. We just replaced the water temperature sensor but that did not work. We also flushed and replaced the coolant which has made the bike run a little cooler while riding at a fair speed but the moment you get stuck in even moving traffic it just shoots up.

No coolant is being thrown out and the fan remains on until the temperature goes down below 110 or so. From the schematic below is number 2 the part that will make the fan come on earlier? Number 14 is what we replaced.

2003 Honda CBR954RR Parts, 2003 Honda CBR954RR OEM Parts - BikeBandit.com

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Jondog, I looked up the procedure on how to burp the system, but now I have another problem to fix first; the battery keeps dying on me! I just bought and installed a new battery, rode a few times, and of course one day I went for a ride, no power. So basically I had to wait for some funds to come in, and have ordered a new water pump and stator. Once those get in, and I re-fill the system I'll be repeating the burping once again.
I had the same charging issue on my 954. After some help from some related forums here, I was able to diagnose the RR and not the Stator which saved me a hundred bucks. I hesitated to just do the stator as well but I spent the money on new fork seals and am really glad I did. Just a little input to help. Hope it does.:twocents:

·
Registered
224 Posts
i was having an overheating problem with my 02. but the engine had just been rebuilt by shenandoah honda. and i new i was going to have problems when after 1/2 a mile my camchain tensioner backed out and bent my valves! shenandoah honda would not warranty the work. tried to say it was my fault? so i got a brand new head and installed it. after about a month it started overheating. and leaking oil around the head gasket near the timimg chain side. when i pulled it all apart we ran a straight edge on the head thinking it was warped. straight as an arrow. so i checked the top case. and somehow the surface the head mounts to has a dent near the timing chain. my best guess is that someone at shenandoah honda dropped it and didnt bother to tell anyone. so with no money left to spend i crossed my fingers and used some of the copper RTV all over the head gasket put it back together and crossed my fingers. and now i have no problems at all!
Dude I cant imagine what I would (want) to do if a shop did that to me. :sniper: When its all said and done your riding again so thats what counts. But DAMN thats shitty service.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts