Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchaced a used 02 954. While riding the last week, I noticed a noise (around 5000rpm), almost a resonance, coming from beneath the fuel tank. It sounds a little more clunky when the bike travels over bumps on the road. I have looked over the entire bike and have come up with no indication of where this could be originating from. Also near the red line (10000rpm) there is a rattling that cannot be reproduced any other time. I have read some similar issues with the 929, I am just wondering if the is the same problem.

Hopefully someone can put my mind at ease!!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Did you check your airbox. Maybe the previous owner didn't put back all the screws or maybe your airfilter is loose or a bunch of other things. :idunno:

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Sounds like it may be your cam chain tensioner, went through a few on my F4i very annoying metalic rattle at 5k

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've heard the HTEV is a bit noisy and sounds a bit like a cam chain tensioner. I think I heard it on mine a few times... don't know much more about it but it's a thought.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Shove a rubber grommet or 2 between your tach housing and the wind screen and see if that helps. 954's are notorious for vibrating screens.

·
Registered
422 Posts
tailgunn said:
I've heard the HTEV is a bit noisy and sounds a bit like a cam chain tensioner. I think I heard it on mine a few times... don't know much more about it but it's a thought.
I can say this is probabbly your problem :thumb: .. just went through this on my friends 954... we were just about to break down the engine to replace the cam chain when we realized that it was the HTEV valve making the noise around the 4-6 RPMS... :idunno:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your input, most of the vibrations were infact coming from between the instrument cluster and the windscreen. There is however some resonance that remains but can live with this as it is no longer a mechanical sound (most likely coming from the airbox). There is still the sound above 9000rpm, could this be the cam chain tensioner... is it worth fixing (ie. will it cause damage if left)?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts