Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my tank off the bike for maitenance purposes. I inherited the bike with a dime size dent on the top left side of the tank. It is a very shallow dent. I have the silver/black paint scheme and the dent is in the silver so it is hard to notice but it bugs the hell out of me. I talked with one dent guy last season, shop was nearby my jobsite so I stopped in and described the damage, and he wasn't interested in taking it on. He said motorcycle tanks are a pain in the ass and he recommended a colleague but it was near the end of season and I gave up at that time. My question is, since the tank is off, I would think that changes the game a little bit. What do you guys think is a fair price to repair the damage? There are a handful of guys in the area but would probably rather have the tank off the bike (and Id also prefer it this way as well) so now would be the time to pull the trigger. Thoughts?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
300 bucks should get it done. That’s fixing and painting.
So with paint are u hinting towards body filler? $300 is a done deal in my book. Are you saying look at body shops rather than these "dent wizards"? Seems like they are in it for a quick buck, not looking for a challenge. Guess i cant say i blame them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Can you post a photo of it up. Going into the tank with dent tools isn’t the easiest. If the dent is shallow could possibly do a glue pull on it. I always try the least invasive first for sure. But normally I end up painting.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yeah I would talk to a pdr shop first to see what they say. It appears to be shallow so that’s good. You might get lucky

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
I too would much prefer a panel shop. To me the 'dent guys' are merely generating funds for their franchise owners. As @Honda434 will agree, the less filler the better!

Totally agree with you, ROob, that small things do tend to niggle some of us. As an illustration, I have an NS400R that I purchased with a niggling stripe mismatch on the tank. Now many will say this is crazy and I partly agree, but I spent £532 to get a tank repaint - £100 of which was pick up and return of the bike. Pics illustrate:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got a quote for 250-450 "worse case"

He didnt want to give a quote without seeing it in person but i sent the pic attached in this thread.

Said he would probably have to remove the fuel pump to do it which in that case I guess I would just do it before bringing it over.

Guess i will have to think on it.

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
We have a heap of 954 tanks on UK eBay. Wouldn't it be practical to buy a secondhand in USA and just go for a respray?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Most certainly! Ill check on that. I think last time i looked (quite a while ago) they all either had some type of damage or wanted big bucks

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Paintless. And btw ebay tanks are no go. Would require paint at a minimum which would cost more than previous estimate

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just out of curiosity could anyone explain a basic PDR procedure to me?

Do they just try to knock the dent out from the inside?

Has anyone had luck with those glue on and yank type kits?

·
Registered
37 Posts
They do either from the outside or inside whatever way is easier. From the outside you can glue little tabs and use a slide hammer or a tab with a tool that squeezes it. The squeeze has more control. I’ll see if I have a photo of that to post. They also have a cold puller it’s pretty cool. It’s like silly buddy that you press on with a special slide hammer and you can reuse over and over again.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Think its worth a try at home? Amazon has kits for $40-50

Or is the quality just not there

·
Registered
37 Posts
This obviously isn’t paintless but the tool looks the same. Instead of welding onto the aluminum it would be glue. I had my pdr guy try before I fixed it he just couldn’t get to it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
Thank goodness for plastic tank covers! Or am I just too modern? :D

Appreciate your pics @Honda434 . I appreciate the skill and craftsmanship in 'old school' repairs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts