Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Looking at buying a 954 and put up a post last week, a few people said that getting the front wheel up isn't great for these bikes. I'm not one to be riding around on the back wheel all the time, but I do pop the occasional mono, so wanted to find out some more about this.

What is the issue? Poor oil circulation? Anyone here experienced this issue, and anyone here pop a wheelie constantly on the 954 and had no issues?

I'm keen to know your experiences with this, good or bad, and what the science behind it is.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Hey all,

Looking at buying a 954 and put up a post last week, a few people said that getting the front wheel up isn't great for these bikes. I'm not one to be riding around on the back wheel all the time, but I do pop the occasional mono, so wanted to find out some more about this.

What is the issue? Poor oil circulation? Anyone here experienced this issue, and anyone here pop a wheelie constantly on the 954 and had no issues?

I'm keen to know your experiences with this, good or bad, and what the science behind it is.

I've never had any trouble and am not aware of the 929/954 being particularly prone to oil starvation. Lots of them get used for stunting which would seem to indicate they're fine with it.

·
Registered
824 Posts
my friend rides mile long wheelies on his 954 daily....and his bike runs great..hes been doing this type of riding for about 2 years now...they are fine for wheelies

·
Registered
824 Posts
i could wheelie a ninja 250 if i wanted to...my R6 wheelied great!!! the 954 most certainly CAN wheelie...veeeryy easily :)

the 954 can probably do wheelies in 3rd gear going 120mph with a little clutch action and a competent rider

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
i could wheelie a ninja 250 if i wanted to...my R6 wheelied great!!! the 954 most certainly CAN wheelie...veeeryy easily :)

the 954 can probably do wheelies in 3rd gear going 120mph with a little clutch action and a competant rider

it will be fun getting used to the R6 and starting to pull some wheelies

·
Registered
824 Posts
it will be fun getting used to the R6 and starting to pull some wheelies

Ya my R6 was a lot of fun...the newer R6 (06-11) is a lot harder to wheelie due to the ride-by-wire throttle...I though my friend was a retard because he was trying to learn to wheelie his 07 R6 and couldnt so I tried it out and although i got it up...it was a lot harder than my old R6...i think thats why they continued to make the R6 and just labeled it the R6s because it was such a good street bike and although the new R6 is a great track bike...it kind of sucks for the road...

I used to power my R6 up in first around 6K rpm and second around 8K rpm and clutch it up in second around 5-6K...but i dont really like powering them up because it is just so abrupt...but thats how i first started wheelies on a street bike :) My new CBR is so well balanced it makes wheelies ridiculously easy...plus the fact that i have it geared -1/+3 for the street:smilebig: im still not comfortable putting bth my feet on the back pegs though because then i have no control over the brake...i see a lot of guys do it though but i have also seen a couple crashes as a result...I miss my R6 though...it was a great bike

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Yeah mines an 09 so it shall be interesting.

Friend used to race an 05 R6, still stands by it being the best year haha.

I dont see myself standing on my rear pegs haha, those will be gone anyways. I wont be fooling around to much right off the bat, the thing is my daily driver after this coming weekend.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Yeah mines an 09 so it shall be interesting.

Friend used to race an 05 R6, still stands by it being the best year haha.

I dont see myself standing on my rear pegs haha, those will be gone anyways. I wont be fooling around to much right off the bat, the thing is my daily driver after this coming weekend.

ya...dont want to crash the daily driver lol...Pre warning...on the newer R6...when i got it to wheelie...it really needed to get the rpm's up HIGH to get it up and keep it up...im talking like 12K rpms in second with the clutch...id get going to around where i was cruising at about 7-8Krpm and slip the clutch with the rpms at 12-13K and it would come up nice and smooth...this took a good 30 minutes to figure out on my friends bike :rotfl:i just dont feel safe knowing if the bike goes too far back that i dont have the brake to save me...ya know?? but some poeple dont think about it...they just dont care...or are too dumb to think lol....

·
Registered
142 Posts
I agree. My buds 954 gets wheelie'd all the time. No problems. I think any bike is prone to damage if you bring it down way too hard.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I agree. My buds 954 gets wheelie'd all the time. No problems. I think any bike is prone to damage if you bring it down way too hard.

i think he was worried about the engine getting starved of oil or something...but you are right...any bikes steering head bearing and front end will accrue excessive wear if the front its eased down...if it slams a couple times thats fine but if it comes down hard every time you are going to be replacing the head bearing once a year :rotfl: the best option is a dry sump as far as oil but as long at your not doing 10 minute wheelies with the bike at 12 o'clock it will be fine

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
ya...dont want to crash the daily driver lol...Pre warning...on the newer R6...when i got it to wheelie...it really needed to get the rpm's up HIGH to get it up and keep it up...im talking like 12K rpms in second with the clutch...id get going to around where i was cruising at about 7-8Krpm and slip the clutch with the rpms at 12-13K and it would come up nice and smooth...this took a good 30 minutes to figure out on my friends bike :rotfl:i just dont feel safe knowing if the bike goes too far back that i dont have the brake to save me...ya know?? but some poeple dont think about it...they just dont care...or are too dumb to think lol....
Especially as I dont have a car at the moment HA. Until I pick up the R6 I am driving a friends 03 Jetta 1.8T with a few mods :) Has ~300hp right now haha.

Yeah I will have to play around with it. I didnt wheelie all the time on the honda, but it was fun every once in awhile.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts