Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I got my 954 the other day, I emailed one of my (Suzuki-riding) buddies and this is what wrote back (this guy is a gun rider on road and track by the way):

"The 954 isn't a bad bike, and I don't mind how flighty it feels. It makes it
quite exciting to ride at times. No ram air is probably the worst thing
about 954, the top end sucks on it." :rolleyes:

Given that I think the 954 has awesome power anywhere above 3000 rpm, his comment made me smile - especially as I know he was being serious.

Or, am I one of the few that doesn't feel that the 954s "top end sucks"? :p

·
Registered
998 Posts
I think the 954 does lack a little top end in standard trim, 1st and second gear are fine but I feel it is noticable in 3rd gear or above. I still have the standard exhaust on mine, so I will have to wait untill I get my akrapovic on to see If it still feels lacking then?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Agreed..But these bikes have most of their power in the mid range which is more user friendly anyways, alot more forgiving for a novice.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have a friend with a 03 gsxr 1000 with a yosh system and pc3r. My 954 has a micron and pc3. I stay with him in 1,2,3, but in 4th he pulls away about 10 feet. Thats as far as he gets away from me. In 5th and 6th we are going the same pace. Thats in a stright line. Now in the curves I own him :evilaugh:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
SQUID SQUID SQUID :evilaugh:

fastjester said:
I have a friend with a 03 gsxr 1000 with a yosh system and pc3r. My 954 has a micron and pc3. I stay with him in 1,2,3, but in 4th he pulls away about 10 feet. Thats as far as he gets away from me. In 5th and 6th we are going the same pace. Thats in a stright line. Now in the curves I own him :evilaugh:

·
Registered
89 Posts
fastjester said:

Your doing this on a track right? I know, being on this site, that you would never do anything like this on the public roadways.

·
Registered
206 Posts
SYKOTYK said:
Your doing this on a track right? I know, being on this site, that you would never do anything like this on the public roadways.
Closed road for the straight. Track for the curves. (so threr :rasp: )

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
A good full system and mapping will give you around 15more ponies, so that will help out heaps.
Jungleboy, why don't you get the Arata system? Cheaper and more power than the Akra. Plus I'll do a great price on them for you as I've got these on special right now.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Chain said:
Faux ram-air, to be exact.
Exactly, the friggin wiring harnes is tucked inside the tubes. That should help air flow.

I hear 954's have no topend alot. But how often do you need it or use it?
The 954 is not a power house but is a twisties machine. Riders who want topend buy Busa's or 12's which will dominate on topend but suck at curves.

Pick your weapon.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Hammer said:
Exactly, the friggin wiring harnes is tucked inside the tubes. That should help air flow.

I hear 954's have no topend alot. But how often do you need it or use it?
The 954 is not a power house but is a twisties machine. Riders who want topend buy Busa's or 12's which will dominate on topend but suck at curves.

Pick your weapon.
Hey, go easy on the big lady. She's better in the curves than you might think!

:cool:

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
A GSXR is better on top, but I wouldn't call a 954 weak by any stretch.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts