Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am strongly thinking about buying a 96 900rr that has clean title, 22k miles on the bike, new brakes, tires, and fairings look clean enough that they don't need to be changed. Bad is it has a cracked rod :crap: don't which rod yet but I understand they should all probably be replaced while I'm in there. Question is: Is this something that can be repaired without costing an arm and leg or is a new engine completely a must?? Also what would you pay for a project like this?? I already have a 929rr and would just buy this to maybe lower and stretch and have as my straight line cruiser. PLEASE someone give me some insist because I am planning to go and see the bike next weekend. Thanx ahead of time.. :thumb:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Giving the year of the bike anything under $1300. It will probably be cheaper to find a used low mileage engine, than to have it rebuild . Used engine <$1000 VS rebuild cost over $1500. There is a reason for the bad rod, maybe oil starvation which cause it to go . So the other engine bearings might be going out also.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was planning to offer him $1000 cash. What is the value of a bike like this after it is all fixed and solid? (w/a lower mileage engine) I would read on these forums, get a service manual and ask question while trying to do this swap on my own over the next couple of months and wait til next season and see if there is any interest for it. Thanx for the reply.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well, what you do is look in NADA.com , Kbb.com in motorcycle section. Sometimes they just show the retail price of the moto. Then look in craigslist search for the exact bike Example (95 900rr and 97 900rr) see what people are asking, but the problem with craigslist people over price their motorcycle.
Also it wouldn't hurt to look in ebay. From all that info , use your best judgement.

·
Registered
737 Posts
About $800. If the motor costs $1K to replace, then you'll be doing ok. And it's very easy to replace the motor yourself.

After all, it's still a 12 year old bike. Consider that you can buy a near new 2006-2007 litre bike for around $6500-7500, so a 12 year old bike that isn't running shouldn't be worth nearly as much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts