Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, title says pretty much everything..

Couple of weeks ago I installed a new battery because the old one had been sitting flat over the winter.
I had a short spin, then sat the bike back in the garage.

Today the battery was flat again, so i charged it up. Took the bike out and had a spin around the neighborhood, when the bike suddenly stopped while i was riding and then had a flat battery.

What's up with this? anyone had similar problems?
The battery itself cant be the problem, the bike should've kept itself running anyway since it was aldready going, right?

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
sounds like the good o honda charging system shows its teeth again. this is a fairly common problem. you will need to charge your battery to full then perform these test on this chart to find the problem. you will need a multimeter but the tests are easy to do. inspect all the wiring for burnt connectors or just dirty ones. if you ve got burnt or melted connectors going to the r/r or starter solenoid thats a good indication of faulty components. the tests will identify which. the tests start at the top n with the easiest stuff first. just follow the chart until you find your problem.

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/Troubleshooting-3P-PMG-&-RR.pdf

after you do these tests report back n we can take it from there.

to answer your question tho. the battery is most likely not your problem. the first test will determine if your system is charging the battery which obviously it isnt but do it anyway to be sure. the chart is spot on for testing these problems but if you think a video might help check out rick's motorsport web how to videos. they are posted on youtube so ill post a link to those if it helps you to see the tests in action. just scroll down and look at the tests for r/r and stators and even a video on how to use the multimeter if your not sure.

you can get a multimeter at home depot of harbor freight for about 10$ they make more expensive ones but for these tests a cheap one will do.

good luck n report back n we can help you from there. electrical issues can be intimidating but this system honestly isnt real hard to wrap your head around n even someone with no experience can fix it with a little guidance.

https://www.youtube.com/user/RicksElectrics

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice chart there! Muuuch better than in the pdf manual i got (witch is why I asked here). Will get to it tomorrow morning ;)

Thanks Kevin!

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
no problem. that chart has helped many a charging system problems around here. its really the same tests outlined in the service manual but put together in a nice flow chart.

if something ends up having given up the ghost on you id suggest you buy parts from ricks web page. they are more expensive than the china ebay parts but you really get what you pay for and this is already a honda weak point so i say get the best stuff and you can help to avoid future problems.

i only just realized you're in norway so itd be my suggestion to get parts from electrex world in the uk. a bit closer to home. : ) also a very trusted name in charging system components.

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,038 Posts
Kevin, I had posted exactly what you said here. And I look and it's not there:idunno:

Then I go and realize my phone has like 20 different pages open and I find I never hit Submit. Getting old sucks!:rotfl:

Anyway, you nailed it as always. :thumb::plus1:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts