Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had the bike out last night after a re-jet and she was running right as rain. However, about a mile from home I heard a loud pop and saw a pretty bright flash (peripheral vision) and bike went dead. Zero power anywhere. Figuring fuses, I pulled the cover and checked every fuse. All good. Okay. Pulled the side panel of the tail and checked 25a main fuse in the starter relay. Good. At a loss here. With all fuses good I would figure I would have power somewhere but nada. Battery tests out good so that can be ruled out. Any input here would be appreciated. Gonna pull all the plastics and see if PO added another inline fuse on the main feed (nothing would surprise me given the state of the bike when I got it) but if anyone has any other ideas I am all ears. Not familiar with the wiring on these bikes but I am competent with wiring in general. Almost wondering if one of the relays didn't self destruct. I guess once I get eyes on everything I will know more.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So this is the only thing I see that could be wrong. The regulator appears to have popped. You can see the epoxy has started to release from the cast portion. Everything else appears to be in order. No fuses are blown. One thing I did notice in my futzing around is that shorting the solenoid to run the starter directly only results in a slow roll, if at all. Compounded to this is the terminal that plugs into the solenoid has corrosion on the contacts that clearly needs to be cleaned but what are the chances the solenoid itself is the culprit?

·
Registered
931 Posts
I was going to say reg/rec, but you answered that yourself. Unplug / cut it out, then see what happens. It might be earthing out the positive supply from the battery.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Something else interesting I just found. If I run a jumper from the battery to the solid red coming out of the solenoid, I still get no power. The red feeds the ignition switch. If however I run the jumper from 12+ to the red/black coming out of the ignition switch, the bike lights up. So this would indicate a faulty ignition switch to me unless I am missing something.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So ignition switch is good. I have it narrowed to the red wire going from the solenoid to the ignition. If I jump the battery to the ignition switch where the red wire goes in, the switch feed the bike and bike starts etc. If I try to jump to the red wire right at the solenoid, the power doesn't make it to the switch which would indicate a broken wire. I hope. I feel like I am plucking at straws but at least I am getting somewhere.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol sorry Ian. Was in and out of the garage to the computer. Yea it was the main fuse. One of those didn't look bad but was kind of things. In my defense I was trying to diagnose it in the dark with a cell phone screen for light (that's my story and I'm sticking to it). Replaced with the proper 30A. I also found some stuff that needed attention while I was there so not a total waste of a tear down. Will be ordering a series regulator kit next week. Anyone have links to repair pigtails for the regulator and solenoid plugs?

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,336 Posts
Lol sorry Ian. Was in and out of the garage to the computer. Yea it was the main fuse. One of those didn't look bad but was kind of things. In my defense I was trying to diagnose it in the dark with a cell phone screen for light (that's my story and I'm sticking to it). Replaced with the proper 30A. I also found some stuff that needed attention while I was there so not a total waste of a tear down. Will be ordering a series regulator kit next week. Anyone have links to repair pigtails for the regulator and solenoid plugs?
lol No worries, was just curious. :thumb:

If you're going to replace the reg/rec (which I highly recommend), I would go with the MOSFET. I got 2 from eBay for my 93 and 99. You wire them in separate from the harness, to take the melting solenoid, and melting reg/rec connectors out of the equation. Here's a few pics. The one I got came with everything needed:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/380704480069

And wired in:

Here are OEM connectors though as well:

Stator connector:

Reg/rec connector:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Voltage Regulator Rectifier for Polaris RZR 570 EFI 2012 2013 2014 | eBay
I have used three of these kits in the past and all have been stellar so it would be what I am looking to use again. Thanks for the input on wiring though. How did you run the positive and negative leads? Straight to the battery or? I have seen some advocate for and against that method. Have done straight to the battery as well as into the harness like stock and both work equally well.

·
7,336 Posts
Voltage Regulator Rectifier for Polaris RZR 570 EFI 2012 2013 2014 | eBay
I have used three of these kits in the past and all have been stellar so it would be what I am looking to use again. Thanks for the input on wiring though. How did you run the positive and negative leads? Straight to the battery or? I have seen some advocate for and against that method. Have done straight to the battery as well as into the harness like stock and both work equally well.
I ran the neg right to the battery, and the hot right to the battery as well with an in line 30a fuse. I think I removed a pin from the starter solenoid red plug too, but I can't find a pic of it. The stator only sends voltage to the battery. The bike runs off the battery voltage. It's a pretty simple set up when you see it sans the harness. If I find a pic I'll edit the post.

Btw I am totally stealing your mounting method. That's awesome.
Thanks, I even put a thin square of aluminum between the reg and the plastic partition.

·
7,336 Posts
This pic is from my 93, showing the speedo healer as well:

I think I took the red and white wire out of the loop that takes the power from the reg/rec into the starter solenoid plug.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts