Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode my bike about thirty miles or so everything was good got home pulling into the garage I noticed a rotten egg smell it is strongest were the openings under the rear seat are what could this smell be thnx in advance for all advice

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
yep its just a fried battery.
Check out your charging system to see if stator or volt reg or a plug that has failed

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked the system per the Honda service manual let the bike warm up put my digital multimeter on the battery at idle with the high beams on I get 13.5-13.8 at 5000 rpms it went to 14.1 but did touch 8.9 for a split second so is it safe to say its just my battery?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I checked the system per the Honda service manual let the bike warm up put my digital multimeter on the battery at idle with the high beams on I get 13.5-13.8 at 5000 rpms it went to 14.1 but did touch 8.9 for a split second so is it safe to say its just my battery?
when did it hit 8.9? and I went thru this not long ago. my stator put out good power until she was nice and warm from 30-45 min trip I could smell the battery frying. my stator failed and was over charging killing my rectifiers one after another and batteries too.
id check AC voltage from the three yellow wires from stator should be 50volt+ each phase test when she good and warm. also can ohm it out should be .3 ohm between all the wires.
test voltage at battery while running when she is nice a hot from running for a bit

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can assume that my manual will tell me how to check the phases right? I will take her for a good ride in the next few days and when I get back home pull the seat off and check her voltage then. It hit 8.9 right when I was revving it up to 5 grand about 3k or so but like I said it was only for a split second

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
You sure u had good connection when it made the low reading?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe so but very possible that it wasn't because it was very brief maybe my meter just lost connection for a sec

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
here's an update I figured I would go ahead and replace the battery cuz it was only 50 dollars so I removed mine and one side was sucked in and the other blown out so I guess that just means my battery was bad right? thnx

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
here's an update I figured I would go ahead and replace the battery cuz it was only 50 dollars so I removed mine and one side was sucked in and the other blown out so I guess that just means my battery was bad right? thnx
from what your battery did it sound like it was over chargeing from failed volt regulator. id buy new one or retro fit differnt one before riding it very much unless you have warranty on the battery but theyll stop swaping them out by the 3rd one. i swaped out 4-5 them before part place said enough :)

·
Registered
791 Posts
from what your battery did it sound like it was over chargeing from failed volt regulator. id buy new one or retro fit differnt one before riding it very much unless you have warranty on the battery but theyll stop swaping them out by the 3rd one. i swaped out 4-5 them before part place said enough :)
By the second one I'd already have said get stuffed, and I'm generous.

If batts "just die", then it's because a cell fails. They just stop holding charge. To cook a battery in the way yours did, you really need to run it for prolonged periods at more than 15v. Failed regulators often let 19v through once they get hot.

Do careful checks to avoid replacing batteries multiple times. For me if you toast a battery that way the parts place shouldn't replace it, the battery wasn't faulty.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok can anyone recommend me a good reg/rec I am currently look at a ricks reg/rec at jp cycles for 107 is that a good one anyone know of a better one or better deal for the money don't want a egay one

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ordered a ricks reg\rec from motorcycle superstore for 85.99 free shipping can't beat it will be here thursday

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I think the stators were a little over built to create a lot of power. I took 5 wraps off each pole when I built my new stator and she charges just perfect.
When my reg failed I measured over 20v at idle an higher. Also installed mosfet reg also.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts