Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Took all three bikes out for back to back(to back) road tests. 900 and 750 are like when they were new. The 1100 is fouling plugs in about 20 miles. I think it's time to rebuild the carbs. The rubber in the Gixxer carbs was the most gone of the three bikes so I'm not surprised.

One thing I really noticed after getting on the Honda right after the other two is how it feels like a bicycle because it's so much lighter. That Suzuki is a piggie but I'm addicted its grunt.

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
Took all three bikes out for back to back(to back) road tests. . .
It's a great experience doing that.

We can become so over-familiar with a particular bike, so that when owners of multiple bikes do these back-to-backs I think we learn, and appreciate, more about each respective bike, no matter for how long we've owned them. Even with my 'few' Fireblades, I am able to pick favourites not necessarily based on power but on rider enjoyment. For this the 929 comes up trumps - even over the 'miniature' 2018, but the overall winner will always (to date) be the VTR. :eek:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
It is amazing how different three "sport bikes" from the same era can be. I've got a variety of makes and categories. Same with cars. My problem is that if a vehicle has an interesting aspect I can forgive a lot of flaws. It would be a lot easier if I could dislike stuff for any of their shortcomings. There is a lot wrong with a sport bike as heavy and long as the 1100 but when I twist the throttle at 3000 RPM I forget about everything that's not proper about it. Only a couple of my friend understand why I like my '69 Beetle so much. Not as easy to pinpoint but there's something about it than puts a smile on my face when I drive it. Maybe there's a feeling of accomplishment from pushing it around curves (just like the 1100).

I've put more miles on my CBR than any other bike (technically my '94 GSXR 750 has a few more but that's because I bought it in Wisconsin and rode it home to California) because it I consider it to be the best all around machine of anything in the stable. I think of Suzukis being like 1911 pistols, Kawasakis are like Desert Eagles but Hondas are like a Smith and Wesson Model 29, the definition of precision.

Riding the 900 is really making me itch to drag the CBX out of storage :)

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,866 Posts
I had my grandmother's 73 Super-Beetle for 2 years in high school. No brakes, no heat, no power steering, no FM radio, and no 5th gear (just stating it only had 4 speeds ;)), started every time I turned the key, and one day I had 6 friends in it not including me. She was a gem. I loved that car.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Have you seen the HD transplants into VWs? My Bug is up a few CCs with dual ports so my Shovel isn't really more powerful but some of the modern big twins are way more power.
grunt.jpg

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
If I did one the main reason would be so I could call it "Potato Bug". I have looked at Hayabusa swaps. Plenty of room for a turbo. I was disapointed to see how expencive a quality air cooled build is. Throw in a trans uprgade and we're looking at over $5K for a 150HP. That would get you 550 HP from a SBC or about a million HP from an LS.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts