Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, New here and I am having a little problem. I got this 97 CBR900 and it starts great, runs great (sort of) and rides great and will be better once I put the new tires on tomorrow. My problem is mid throttle right about where is feels like it wants to really take off (Kinda like the secondaries on a carburetor on a four barrel car) it has a fairly significant flat spot and then goes back to normal acceleration. Almost like there is a accelerator pump issue you would have in with a carburetor on a car.

Since I am not well versed on this bikes fueling setup yet have any of you had this problem. . What was the cause and who would you recommend in the Everett Wa area or close to it to work on it. I am sure if I got a book and rebuild kits I could do the work myself but I wanna ride! I have rebuilt many engines and several TH350's in my past but am old, grumpy and impatient so I just want to get it fixed but have never taken my stuff to anyone before and don't know who I can trust to do good work on these.

Thanks for any input up front!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Has the exhaust been changed or modified (chopped or gutted) without having the bike rejeted?? Have you checked your air and fuel filters, I would take the carbs off and clean them up real good, inspect the diaphrams for cracks then make sure each carb is set the same and put them back together, have them syncd and see how she runs

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. . Filters replaced for the new season here so I will check the diaphrams. I can see I am going to have to get un-grumpy and buy a book. Your probably right on because that is exactly what it feels like.

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I skipped past the exhaust question and should have mentioned the exhaust was replaced with a Vance and Hines system. I cannot recall the specs but it has the carbon fiber can on it. I did not think about the fact it could change the jetting requirements at least that much. What do you recommend for a jet kit. . It's bone stock in the intake side of the house.

Do you really think the change in exhaust flow and back pressure would cause a jetting issue with an impact like this. I am all open for suggestions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts