Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally I am making my build thread after asking all sorts of questions. I bought my F3 for $300 from a guy that was flustered, and had traded his Camaro for it. It left him stranded three times, and he was done. Bought it, and took it to my friends shop. Replaced the plug for the starter relay, and fixed the ground issue (cleaned it), and got rid of the kick stand switch since it went bad. These pics are what I thought I was buying, and what I got. You have to look behind my buddies race bike (it's an f3 with a kawi tail faring).

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So after I put it back together, and cleaned the carbs, and got it running I was happy, but needed to fix a few things. One was the license plate. It was mounted with 2 zip ties to the plastic of what was left of the cut up under tail. I ended up making this with a few pieces of metal laying around. Yes I know it's not centered. So sue me.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just put a new chain on the bike, because it had some cheap chinese chain on it that wouldn't stop stretching. I cut one link out, and it stretched out again so much that making a slow hard u turn it jumped off of the rear sprocket, and broke the adjustment block. That was no fun, and interesting.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since I have been looking for a good replacement for my rear shock that has seen a lot of year, and they aren't so rebuildable, I just bought a used '07 CBR600RR rear shock to put in the back. When I put it on I will take pic's for you guys, and let you know how it does, and fitment issues. If nothing else I only spent $18.98 with shipping for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Almost forgot. I also bought a new set of sprockets for it as well. A 14t front, and 43t rear from JT sprockets. By the end of the week I will have them on since the chinese chain ate mine. I am also going to go to a 46t rear hear in the very near future.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you very much. With the help from here, and from my buddies Steve it should end up golden. I started pulling off the green as well.I forgot last night that I also have a set of F4I coils to through on it, and wire in. I'll take pics, and explain it all as well.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I can pic up the lower right for a reasonable price (cheap), then yes she will go back to full farings. At the moment my plans are to smooth out what is there, and run her as is.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Good luck with the bike. A lot of F project starting up lately... JNSracing, look what you've started.
They're just great project bikes - you can get 'em really cheap, they're bulletproof IF they haven't been too abused, and in my opinion, they are very easy to work on... also, though it is starting to diminish somewhat, there's still a pretty strong aftermarket for performance parts.

I check Craigslist regularly in my area, and if/when I find another $500 to $700 F2 or F3, with a title and good motor and gearbox, I'll buy it and build another one! :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good luck with the bike. A lot of F project starting up lately... JNSracing, look what you've started.
Thank you very much. I've always wanted a bike, and as good as the new ones look and perform I can't see spending the money on one as a first bike. Especially not when I have a friend that has a bunch as parts, and I sold him a cali model that I bought that was trash.

And for jns. I found another close to where I am with f4i guages on it with title for ~$400. I'm thinking about picking it up as well.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got my new rear shock in today. Looks good. No scratches, or oily residue, but it says on the shock that it is gas filled. We will find out this weekend how it does.

Now for the bad. I laid the bike down for the first time today. I was pulling up to a red light about 30 feet behind a work van. As we were stopping the light changed to green, and everyone took off. All except the van driver. He slammed his breaks harder. I grabbed as much of the front break as I could, and hit the rear. Was about to hit the van when the rear tire decided it wanted to be the front, and slide out causing me to drop it. I rolled onto the shoulder while watching the bike, and hoping the it doesn't hit the a**holes van, and bend my rim or forks. It slide nicely on its right side under his van, and came to a stop. As soon as the van driver saw me start to go down, he hauled a** and left. I half broke, and twisted the right foot peg, broke the right mirror, and scraped the case. Luckily the bike was fine beyond that. The only good thing to come from it is the bike runs better now. Lol. It had started to sound raspy, and dying at idle after warming up. Now its back to how it was.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright. So I mounted the '07 CBR500RR rear shock today. If anything it has made it interesting. It doesn't sag as much as the old one did when I sit on it now. Also it seems to respond quicker, and easier when leaning in for a turn, where as the old one felt lazy.

As for mounting the shock in the frame. It bolts in with the stock bolts, but you do need to remover the overflow tank to make room for the piggy back. They are almost the same length, if not about 1/2" longer for the rr shock But it opens up a new avenue for us to put a better shock on our bikes, with more parts out there since they are newer.

I also replaced the broken rearset with one from a cali bike I had laying around at my friends shop, and sandblasted bits that come off to get rid of the green.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I put on my F3I individual coils today. It's interesting on how you have to wire it to make the work. If you don't do it correctly, it will back fire.

First, take the stock coils off. They are under the air box. Also a good time to replace the spark plugs if you haven't in a while, or just got the bike.

Take the individual coils an unplug them from the harness, and put them in the holes, and on the plugs.

Take the F4I coil harness apart. You will need to cut the plug off that connects to the F4I harness, and the take and cut the black wires free at the crimp point.

At this time you should have four plugs, and they are all separate. Take the Take the yellow/blue wire and put a male spade connector on it. Tin the black wire with solder. Take one of the red wire plugs, and solder the red wire, then solder it to the black wire that came off of the yellow/blue plug. Take the black wire that is left, and put another male spade connector on it. There is your 1/4 coil harness.

Now take the blue/yellow and put a male spade connector on it. Tin the black wire with solder. Take the last red wire plug, and solder the red wire, then solder it to the black wire that came off of the blue/yellow plug. Take the black wire that is left, and put another male spade connector on it. There is your 2/3 coil harness.

Tape them up so they look pretty, and it also gets the wires out of the way.

Now go plug the yellow wire to the yellow wire from the F3 harness, and connect them to 1 and 4. Take the blue wire coil harness, and plug it into the blue F3 harness wire. Plug them into 2, and 3. Make sure the blacks are connect to their corresponding places, and voila. You have individual coils on your F3.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cool mod on the coils. Did you measure the resistance of the stock coils and compare it to the new coils in parallel?
Thank you very much. I did in the past when we did my buddies race bike. One coil is half the resistance of one of the stock F3 coil packs. With them in parallel they have half the resistance of stock (equal to one coil), and pull more current through the cdi. Which in turn would burn it up. I had it that way for a min when I started, because I got over zealous. Started smelling hot electrical. That's when I completely stripped down the harness, and wired them in series. You still end up with 50,0000 volts per coil though.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts