Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I'm replacing the fork seals, and notice a slight detent in the steering as you move L<>R from center. Looking at the bearings online I've seen the tapered bearing kits for the 900.

Recommendations? I've seen em for $36 to $50 but more interest as to the whether people have fitted with success!

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
So... I'm replacing the fork seals, and notice a slight detent in the steering as you move L<>R from center. Looking at the bearings online I've seen the tapered bearing kits for the 900.

Recommendations? I've seen em for $36 to $50 but more interest as to the whether people have fitted with success!

I put tapers in an F3 some years ago. I think they were a bit taller than the OEM's but I don't think it caused any problems.
I would stick with the OEM's though, they lasted 14 years without any problem already :)
1997 Honda CBR900RR OEM Steering Stem Parts | MotoSport

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
14 years... point.
Time for some new bearings and tap them in.

Thanx

(4am?! Couldn't sleep?)

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
14 years... point.
Time for some new bearings and tap them in.

Thanx

(4am?! Couldn't sleep?)

I'm building a car engine and this heat is brutal during the day - and night. So I'm getting up in the wee hours and doing it when it's a bit cooler :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
*chuckle*

I gotta strap on the bat gear and enter the fray at 1400.... only the hottest part of the day!

Wanna swap for the shed?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
*chuckle*

I gotta strap on the bat gear and enter the fray at 1400.... only the hottest part of the day!

Wanna swap for the shed?

Yes, I don't envy you one bit :)
The heat keeps the scumbags in their caves during the day though at least :)
Stay safe out there Bry!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
When I swapped my 900 yokes for 929 yokes I reused the bearings from my 900. But the other day when I removed the forks I notices I had a lot of side to side movement in the yoke. I didnt tap anything in only sat the lower bearing over the stem and installed the top bearing and washers etc and tightened it all down, have I screwed up? I didnt have the tool to tighten down the head nut so used the shock adjuster c clip so couldnt torque it... Are you talking about if you replace the bearing runners in the frame head having to tap things?

I think im going to order a new bearing set and the tool to torque it now unless ive done something wrong..

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
When I swapped my 900 yokes for 929 yokes I reused the bearings from my 900. But the other day when I removed the forks I notices I had a lot of side to side movement in the yoke. I didnt tap anything in only sat the lower bearing over the stem and installed the top bearing and washers etc and tightened it all down, have I screwed up? I didnt have the tool to tighten down the head nut so used the shock adjuster c clip so couldnt torque it... Are you talking about if you replace the bearing runners in the frame head having to tap things?

I think im going to order a new bearing set and the tool to torque it now unless ive done something wrong..
As far as I'm aware all the Fireblades run the same bearings.
What do mean by side to side movement?
What do you mean by tapping things?
I've never torqued the steering bearings. Tighten them down a little at a time until you just feel the steering getting tight, then back it off slightly.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
if I hold the bottom yoke there is side to side movement, this is without the forks fitted. I got the tapping bearing in from the above posts, got me worried as I didnt tap anything which was why I thought perhaps why I have movement.

Perhaps i just need to nip the head bolt some more, I did what you did tightend it until it was to tight then backed it off a tad. Could be things have just seated more over time and I just need to tighten a tad more.. Will have a look later.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
if I hold the bottom yoke there is side to side movement, this is without the forks fitted. I got the tapping bearing in from the above posts, got me worried as I didnt tap anything which was why I thought perhaps why I have movement.

Perhaps i just need to nip the head bolt some more, I did what you did tightend it until it was to tight then backed it off a tad. Could be things have just seated more over time and I just need to tighten a tad more.. Will have a look later.

Doesn't sound right. Perhaps one of the bearing cages has collapsed?
I think you're referring to the tapered bearings?
Your OEM bearings should be ball bearings in a cage.
Tapers are tapered roller bearings in a cage - usually aftermarket.
In the old days the roller bearings weren't great and not well protected so they tended to wear and corrode. The usual fix was to replace them with tapered bearings. Modern caged ball bearings are far better quaility material and design so there's no need to swap them out for tapers.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Stripped the yokes BR and I had left out the upper race runner thing, haha thats why it had movement. Found it in my box of spares parts and fitted it, no movement now appart from left and right where is supposed to be :) Also my steering lock now works with the 929 yokes and it didnt before as the ignition barrel never ligned up with the frame cutout. Now all sorted so cheers :)

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Stripped the yokes BR and I had left out the upper race runner thing, haha thats why it had movement. Found it in my box of spares parts and fitted it, no movement now appart from left and right where is supposed to be :) Also my steering lock now works with the 929 yokes and it didnt before as the ignition barrel never ligned up with the frame cutout. Now all sorted so cheers :)

Bloody hell!
How long have you been riding it like that?
I test rode an '88 GSXR750 that didn't have the upper bearing and it was all over the road :)

·
Registered
541 Posts
I found this when I changed the headstock bearings on my 94/95 foxeye. :eek:I changed the bearings circa 4 years ago.

Not sure how the swarf got there (perhaps built on the friday night or monday morning shift!) :nono:

I replaced them with taper roller bearings :thumb:.... cheaper and I understand better than original (I am open to correction from those engineers in the know about bearings, stresses and loads etc) - it seems to be what the local bike shops have always advised (obviously not the mainstream dealers who advocate their much higher priced OEM bearings!!!) :thumb:.

Perhaps down to personal choice - and available funds....

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yipes! There's a bit there too!

Well I ended up ordering from the States a set of the replacement originals, if I'm lucky the inner shell will be ok... If I'm not, it'll take longer...

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I found this when I changed the headstock bearings on my 94/95 foxeye. :eek:I changed the bearings circa 4 years ago.

Not sure how the swarf got there (perhaps built on the friday night or monday morning shift!) :nono:

I replaced them with taper roller bearings :thumb:.... cheaper and I understand better than original (I am open to correction from those engineers in the know about bearings, stresses and loads etc) - it seems to be what the local bike shops have always advised (obviously not the mainstream dealers who advocate their much higher priced OEM bearings!!!) :thumb:.

Perhaps down to personal choice - and available funds....

Wow - somebody threw a party in your steering head I think :)

·
Registered
541 Posts
Yep - it makes you wonder where all the swarf hid when the nice people at honda cleaned the headstock out after machining :idunno: (assuming they did clean it out)..... either that or someone had previously and very inexpertly fitted a standard set of Mr Honda's bearings .... (a honda trainee?? or a previous owner - who knows):rant:

Still - the improvement when new bearings were installed (clean - well except for some nice new grease) was significant - the bike handled!:evilaugh:

All in all worth the hassle to check.. :thumb:

By the way, when installing the new bearings I used a length of threaded stud long enough to pass through the headstock and stick out top and bottom, some very large washers (larger than the inside diameter of the outer race, and smaller than the outside diameter of the outer race) and some very large nuts (to fit the stud) to tighten them evenly into the bearing housing in the headstock....

I used several sets of washers to keep them straight and to stop flex in the washers pressing against the bearing races. Did not cost that much from a nut and bolt type hardware supplier....:D

Worked a treat!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I had to do the forks today, and that made me P****d! Have a lookit this, this was the leaky side...

Looks like they hammed it with a screwdriver! the seals were swelling with rust and the dust cover appeared to have been prised off and the put back. The fork oil, was well like water..... sliders were ok, probable swap them over on the next opening.

I suppose it's because it's a UK bike, but every damn bolt I've near replaced for head rust, salt is a bitch. Very happy we've not got over here :eek:

Top bearing...

That felt ok, although some markings on the shell.

Bottom bearing...

Could really feel the detents on it, so a worthwhile job, the bottom dust seal got destroyed getting off the stem, damned if I could see how you can just lever off like the manual says. It took some tappin'

What now?

--wait for parts--

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Well I had to do the forks today, and that made me P****d! Have a lookit this, this was the leaky side...

Looks like they hammed it with a screwdriver! the seals were swelling with rust and the dust cover appeared to have been prised off and the put back. The fork oil, was well like water..... sliders were ok, probable swap them over on the next opening.

I suppose it's because it's a UK bike, but every damn bolt I've near replaced for head rust, salt is a bitch. Very happy we've not got over here :eek:

Top bearing...

That felt ok, although some markings on the shell.

Bottom bearing...

Could really feel the detents on it, so a worthwhile job, the bottom dust seal got destroyed getting off the stem, damned if I could see how you can just lever off like the manual says. It took some tappin'

What now?

--wait for parts--

The poor girl has probably been limping with these injuries for years :-(
But she's going to be so happy with you for finally giving her some TLC!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts