Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 1998 engine which I am struggling to get a spark. I have a different ignition barrel which did not have the zener diode sending the 9v to the ICM. But i have wired one in etc and still nothing. Now I believe it is time to start changing parts.

So I am thinking about changing the ignition module to the 1997 one, which still has the TPS, but all that is different from the wiring diagram is that it is missing the pink (zener diode) wire.

Would it be a straight change, or are the other wire in different positions?

Thanks for reading.

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
Hi did you wire in the diode the right way round, try a small square 9v battery into where the pink wire should go first in the ECU

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. I have got 9v going to it. All I am trying to do is eliminate the pink wire as been as issue.

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
Hi , if you have 9v going to the ECU, chances are there is a different issue stopping you getting a spark, does engine turn over but not fire?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes engine is turning over fine. I have tested the ignition leads and packs. Just no spark! Very frustrating

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
Sorry to ask the usual questions , Have you checked the Ignition Pulse generator, is the Clutch switch isolated, Neutral Light showing

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,596 Posts
I currently have a 1998 engine which I am struggling to get a spark. I have a different ignition barrel which did not have the zener diode sending the 9v to the ICM. But i have wired one in etc and still nothing. Now I believe it is time to start changing parts.

So I am thinking about changing the ignition module to the 1997 one, which still has the TPS, but all that is different from the wiring diagram is that it is missing the pink (zener diode) wire.

Would it be a straight change, or are the other wire in different positions?

Thanks for reading.
I added a Zener to my 99 as I made it a track bike, with a toggle switch instead of the key switch.

I don't know if the loom connector on the 98/99 is the same as the 96's ECU. It's possible, but a failure of the ECU is so extremely uncommon on these older blades that I agree with MrPickwick that it's probably something else.

Why did you change your ignition? Is that the only change since it ran last? Can you post some pictures? We want to help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi. Thanks for the replies.
I brought the engine complete with loom but was missing ignition barrel and starter/kill switch. I am putting engine in a single seater car.
I am getting a signal from the pulse generator but as far as I know I don’t have the correct equipment to properly check it.

I have properly shrink wrapped the diode into harness and it was producing 9v at the ecu. But before this I did try a 9v battery for my multimeter, and all the same results.

Unsure what kill switch I have but engine will attempt or seem to turn over with the kill switch either on or off

What other tests can I perform to try and point to the actual problem. Happy to replace parts, but would prefer to know what is wrong with it.

These are diode I brought (LINK)

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
This one I've used, but if your getting the (9v at the ECU that should be ok), Didn't realise it's for a cart though, so bypass the clutch ,sidestand and the Neutral switch they go through the Clutch diode, so check diode is in place, the kill switch (Black and Black/white) is what you should be looking for on the Switch gear check that is in the Run position

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Side stand and clutch switch are all joined together.

I will check the kill switch and make sure this is right. But if the kill switch is in the off position would the engine still try and turn over?

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
Side stand and clutch switch are all joined together.

I will check the kill switch and make sure this is right. But if the kill switch is in the off position would the engine still try and turn over?
Are you getting 12v in and out of the kill switch?

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,596 Posts
If I remember correctly, Honda changed their kill switch set up from SC28 to SC33. I believe on my 93 (SC28) with the kill switch activated the engine will turn over but kills the spark. My 99 (SC33) , with the kill switch activated, the start button does nothing, not even a turn over. Here is a link to color coded wire diagrams for all the 900's.

Do you have a dash installed, and/or all the necessary left and right "handlebar" controls and they are all wired properly? Is the wire harness tied into any other lighting or electronics that are specific to the car, and not the engine?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts