Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all got a problem on starting the bike, if it,s in neutral ignition lights are fine just a click when i press the start button and nothing happens. If i put it in gear pull the clutch in it will start up ok. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue, and what might be the problem. appreciate any info cheers.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Hi all got a problem on starting the bike, if it,s in neutral ignition lights are fine just a click when i press the start button and nothing happens. If i put it in gear pull the clutch in it will start up ok. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue, and what might be the problem. appreciate any info cheers.

Sidestand switch perhaps?
Will it start in neutral with the sidestand up?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried starting with the side stand up and in neutral still no luck. If it starts when in gear and the clutch in is it possibly a clutch or gear box problem. BYE THE WAY THANKS FOR THE INPUT.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Are you saying the only way it will start is in gear, sidestand up, while holding clutch in?
How about in nuetral, sidestand up, holding clutch in? What happens then?
How about in nuetral, sidestand down, holding clutch in?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In neutral, side stand up holding the clutch in it will start, would that point to a faulty side stand switch and why does it start when i hold the clutch in.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
So whether in gear or out of gear doesnt matter right?
As long as the sidestand is up and your clutch handle is pulled in?

At this point you need to consult your service manual to find out what it says about starting procedure. What I'm not sure about is, does the clutch handle always have to be pulled in to allow the starter to engage and start the engine? On your bike I mean. I have two Hondas and one does and the other doesn't.

How long have you had the bike and when did the problem start?
Was it the result of a drop or something else - or did it just start on it's own?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
side stand up in neutral clutch in it will start.
without the clutch in won,t start, i used to be able to turn the key while in neutral would fire up without the clutch in. Bike has not been dropped just started recently.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Wish I had more familiarity with your bike. I'd seek out a free downloadable service manual for your bike, and consult that. In the start-up procedure it will explain what's normal and what's not. Then you can begin tracking down which sensor or connection is causing your problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Went for a spin on the bike today it seems a bit intermitent some times it will start in gear and then not in gear will probably drop it into a bike shop let them suss it out. Thanks for your input jondog & blade racer i,m not that used to tinkering with bikes so any help is appreciated.

Cheers Pete

·
Registered
2 Posts
im having the same problem with my 99 cbrf4. starts fine. then when warm it dies and have to have the stand up, clutch in. in or out of gear

1 - 10 of 10 Posts