Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased an 17" 98 F3 front rim (but it didn't come with the rotors) and was installing it and measured both and my 16" is 1/4 of an inch wider at the axle. And 16" rotors do not match up to the 17" rim! I've already ordered the rotors for the 17" rim, should be here Friday or Monday. My question is do I have to buy new spacers for the axle, or can I put a washer to compensate the difference? And once I put on the rotors will they match to the calipers or do I have to do something different? I read the post on this forum and they all said the F3 and VFR would fit with no modifications. Can someone please give me detail on what I need to do to make this work? :crying: Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
1,715 Posts
Ahhh but what you failed to read was that the F3 and the 94-97 VFR front rim will only be a direct bolt on for the 1995-97 Fireblade. In 1998 Honda spaced the forks further apart to make for a better handling bike. I wish i had the 98 front end on my 95 Blade... muy better.

I guess wait and see when your new rotors come in if they will line up with your brake calipers correctly. I'm thinking they won't. Did you axle fit the F3 bearings ok?

How far off was the wheel spacing inbetween the axle point on the forks? In other words how much is the total gap? Did you use your 98 wheel spacers, or did you use the F3 wheel spacers?

Worst case senario is the wheel won't work without some help from a machine shop. If need be a machine shop can make new spacers that go between the brake rotor and the wheel ( do NOT use washers! ). A machine shop if need be can also machine a pair of new wheel spacers, if you know how long they need to be.. but your measurement has to be precise.. like within .003 thousands of an inch or they won't work right.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I used the spacers off my 16" wheel, the axle fit perfect and the only difference was 1/4 of an inch with both spacers on (wheel on forks without tightening anything).

From what your saying, I either need to find a new wheel (which one does bolt right on? for my bike) or get spacers (so the F3 spacers will not work either?) , once I get the rotors installed and check to see if they line up correctly? There is nothing that I can get from Honda dealer to fit perfect (spacers)?

And any machine shop can make the spacers for me and long as I give them the measurement?

Thanks again for your help with this!

·
Banned
1,715 Posts
Ok, I screwed the pooch on my wheel swap thread: I forgot to mention it only works for the 1995-97 Blade as a direct bolt on item.

I'm certain a machine shop can make new spacers for you. This is what you'll need to do if you want a machine shop to make the parts for you. Take the F3 wheel, your wheel spacers, your old wheel, your old rotors and bolts, the new rotors that fit the F3 wheel to the machine shop. They have the tools to measure precisely how wide the new spacers will need to be. They can do this by mocking up the old wheel, rotors and spacers. They also can measure to see if and how wide the rotor to wheel spacers will need to be.

If your lucky the new rotors and F3 wheel will slide into your brake calipers and line up without having to make spacers.

The F3 wheel spacers won't work.

·
Banned
1,715 Posts
No luck today on that post getting answered from the cbr forum.

I say take the bike and wheel to a custom bike shop and let them do it. or... buy aftermarket 17 inch wheels from Marvic, marchessini, PM or other maker. When you go to sell your bike, if you do buy aftermarket wheels remove and sell them seperately to recoupe half or more of your cost to buy them.

I don't know what it is lately, but it seems tricky tech questions just don't get adressed on any website forum.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do appreciate all your help, I'm still waiting on the rotors to come in. I'll update.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Chiming in on this. Just ordered an F3 17" rim. Will try to see what it gives on my 1998 900rr. From what I read, the forks are supposedly wider apart. If so, could the rotors, or calipers be shimmed? Anyone done this?

Cheers....

·
Banned
1,715 Posts
You can do this conversion to a 93 or 94, BUT you will most likely NOT be able to use your speedo cable set up, so you will never be able to use the 93-94 gauge cluster.

If you want to have a speedometer/odometer that works properly:

Buy and install a 1995-1997 CBR900RR wiring harness; a 95-97 countershaft cover and electrical pick up unit: a 95-97 guage cluster. That will delete the need for a cable driven speedometer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
well, i'm already running a 99 engine with harness and gauges...so i don't even use the stupid speedo thing anymore....I got an axle and spacers off of a 99, but i don't think i can just swap them out and get rid of the speedo sensor.

so if i get an axle and spacers off a 95-97, i can just swap them out with an F3 wheel? I'm sure i can probably keep my speedo sensor as a spacer, but it has that little ring in there that sits on the bearings to make the sensor spin i think.

·
Banned
1,715 Posts
The 95-97 Axle will fit as far as i know. I have had like 4 sets of spare oem forks for my blade, but have sold a couple pairs, one of the pairs was the 93-94. I didn't want to run them because there is no external rebound dampening adjustment like 95-99 forks have.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The F3 wheel Bolts up perfect to a 98-99 with stock spacers. The stock F3 rotors are in the correct location as well, Unfortunatly the 98-99 rotors are 310mm and the F3's are 296mm. The 98-99 rotors are different bolt patterns and won't even bolt to a F3 wheel =( I learned the hard way. So does anyone want to buy a Clean 97 F3 front Wheel with a practically New tire?

I believe if you Own a 98-99 900rr then your stuck with the 17 unless you go with aftermarket rims. Someone correct me if I'm wrong so I can get a 17 up front.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I haven't heard of any aftermarket rotors for this problem but if someone found out I would appreciate it. As far as I know there is none. I know a lot of the newer bikes run 310mm rotors but nothing that I know of that would bolt to the old 296mm wheels.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I don't see how the F3 wheel can bolt up to the 98-99 forks with stock spacers....because the 98-99 16" wheel hub is 5mm wider each side. The spacers would end up being shorter.

The 98-99 forks are 10mm wider spaced compared to the earlier years. That would imply a 5mm wider (each side) wheel spacer would set the wheel in the middle of the forks.

Have the machine shop make new spacers for the wheel, and spacers for the calipers (5mm also) to move them inward, and then have them redrill your 98 rotors to fit the F3 wheel.

Originally, I had a 98 F3 wheel that bolted right up to my 95 900RR. I subsequently fitted 954 forks and had an issue where the rotors didn't line up in the calipers after doing so. I had to get custom spacers made out of brass in order to shift the wheel to the right by about 1.5mm. I had a friend whose dad owned a machine shop, so they were gratis, but you shouldn't have to pay more than about $100-150 total to get the 4 spacers made and rotors drilled.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE------UPDATE--------UPDATE------UPDATE------UPDATE

I finally got the rotors and extra spacers (that I mixed and matched to get to fit evenlly on the forks with no problems). And yes the rotors are shorter, and I had to get a pair of 8M 1.25 @ 30mm (stock bolts are 8M 1.25 @ 25mm) and add a 5mm spacer on each bolt from the fork between the caliper. To push the caliper in more on one side of wheel. I rode the bike and it feels good. It does feel better on turns and the brakes work fine (but will wear differently due to them not having complete contact to the rotors, just one 1/4 of an inch). Unless someone knows where to get bigger rotors for the F3 rim, i'm going to leave it the way it is (I'm never going to get on a track, so it'll be okay for city daily use). I was told this by friends who race and hit the track. The bike looks and feels good. I'm happy with it.

I'd like to thank everyone who helped with information on this.

I love this forum!

Later i'm going riding.

·
Registered
98 Posts
sorted !!

i saw a 98 with a cbr front, that had home made spacers & aftermarket disks to get the round the disc-mounting-bolt-PCD issue

The disks were PVM.

I've HREARD that a firestorm wheel has the correct rotor PCD, but obviously is 3 spoke.....

1 - 20 of 46 Posts