Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer: This pertains to the 98-99 rrx/rrw ONLY, if your blade is a 97 or earlier look elsewhere!!!

I was sick of the 16 in tire choices so i decided to do something about it. Heres My answer to the 17 in front rim dilemma:

Pick up a front wheel from a 98-02 vfr800. If youre buying used be sure to check your wheel for true and make sure the bearings are ok. Mine checked out so for now im going with it.

You will need to machine the hub (where the rotors mount) down the the thickness of your original wheel. I had a machine shop remove .137 in or 3.5 mm from each side. Once you do this your blades rotors will bolt on.

Next you will need to add some thickness to your stock spacers. The new wheel requires 2mm added to each spacer. This could be done with a shim or washer but i just had the machine shop make them from steel stock (they actually added .075 in).

now get yourself some power pilot 2ct's like i did and bolt that beautiful new rim on! Be sure to grease the axel and new spacers.

My total cost for machining was $100 US Moving to 2cts from the podium pos i had was well worth it! :patriot:

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Maybe this should be stickied?

I'd always recommend you fit new bearings when doing a wheel swap, it's too cheap and easy to be worth ignoring.
Does the 3.5mm have to come off the wheel? You couldn't take it off the calipers or forks to align the discs? Just seems a lot. How thick is the material left in each side of the hub?
Are the VFR8 spacers longer than the 900RR ones?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Just checked the fiche and the bearings are 20x47x14.
If you can find some 20x47x16 (or 20x47x5/8") bearings you could use the original spacers?

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Good post Charles, this question comes up quite a lot on the forum. Although I would be interested to know the answer to bladeracer's question on how much material ls left to bolt the brake rotor on to the wheel.

IMHO this method is preferable to machining the calipers or forks as it allows you to put the standard wheel back in quickly and easily - useful for selling the bike over here, as many buyers prefer standard bikes in the UK.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Maybe this should be stickied?

I'd always recommend you fit new bearings when doing a wheel swap, it's too cheap and easy to be worth ignoring.
Does the 3.5mm have to come off the wheel? You couldn't take it off the calipers or forks to align the discs? Just seems a lot. How thick is the material left in each side of the hub?
Are the VFR8 spacers longer than the 900RR ones?
My bearings were pretty pristine and my budget is pretty tight at the moment, but im planning to replace bearings on both wheels soon for peace of mind. You could get bearings that were 2mm wider as long as the dust shields were still useable, i considered that but since i was having the wheel machined it was easy enough to get spacers made.

In terms of where to take material off, destructo hit the nail on the head. By doing it this way i can bolt the old wheel on anytime, also the way the wheel is constructed this makes the hub almost identical to the stock one, theres plenty of material there and the holes are already drilled all the way through the hub.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Happy New Year!:D

Here is a posting I wrote on this very subject:8/02/08 & in 07

Hey! I wrote an Xtensive Post on the CBR 900RR 17 in. wheel conversion from 16in. Stock Wheel in 07!

Only! And Only the CBR 600 F3-Wheel from Model Yrs. 96/97/98 with the Matching Center Hub as the CBR 900RR is on the 16in. Front Wheel!

The 93-94 CBR 900RR 16in. Wheel has the Speedo in the Front Wheel Hub!

The 95-97 CBR 900RR 16in. Wheel has the Speedo in the Transmission! And so does the 98/99 CBR 900RR!

The 93 through the 97 CBR 900RR 16in. Wheel has the 290mm Front Rotors as to the *98/99 CBR 900RR has the 320mm Rotors!!! That's why the Front Forks on the 98/99 are BIGGER!

So, the 93/94, the 95-97 and the 98/99 CBR 900RR have THREE Diff: Front 16in. Wheels!!! There are alot of people who still don't realize that!!!

As to your 98/99 CBR 900RR 17in. Conversion, requires a 5mm shim on both sides of the Front wheel and DRILLING by E-LONG-GATING the Holes in the STOCK FRONT ROTORS! * If you use Galfer Wave ROTORS, you will have to adjust to the THICKNESS of the After Market Rotors!

Find a [email protected]@D Race machine Shop to Help you with the Wheel!

* MOST IMPORTANT! DON'T FORGET TO LOWER THE HEIGHT ON YOUR FORKS NOW THAT YOU HAVE A 17in. WHEEL AS TO THE 16in. STOCK! *

To End this Colossal Headache; Just Put an RC51 Front end with the SP1 6-Spoke Front Wheel & this Matter is OVER!!! You know have an Up to Date Front End... This is Cheaper & Overall, more effective than doing the 17inch Front Wheel conversion!

I had to L@@K this up from my Downloaded Records; This 900 Nut Found out something that is the Golden Egg!
1999 CBR900RR 17 inch front wheel ...again - Page 2 - RRZone Forums

This Too Ends any Further Need for the 17 inch F3 wheel Conversion Problems!!!

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Just Put an RC51 Front end with the SP1 6-Spoke Front Wheel & this Matter is OVER!!! You know have an Up to Date Front End... This is Cheaper & Overall, more effective than doing the 17inch Front Wheel conversion!
I think you have a problem with your math if you think replacing the entire front end can possibly work out cheaper than a new wheel and some very basic machine work :)

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
I'm glad you mentioned that bladeracer! Finding an F3 Front Wheel Used in Xcellent Condition in the States on EBAY, cost around $175 to $300 or More! New, from Ron Ayers, is $600!!! Now, Buying after Market Rotors to be Machined by a Race Shop is around $400 to $600!!! Galfer Rotors on Average for the CBR900RR is $500! Drilling out the Front Rotors, $50 to $75 a set & Casting the 5mm Shims, another $100 to $150!!! *You only get "1" Shot at Drilling the Elongating Holes into the Rotors! They must be PERFECT! So Far, that's $1000!!! By the way, this doesn't include all the time, money & effort spent on Phone Calls, Faxes, Internet Searches on Forums & Shipping Things to This "1" & That "1"! That's another $1000 +!!! And Don't Forget, THE POWDER COATING; ANOTHER $300 +!!! Unless you want to Ride Around [email protected]@King Stupid with 2-different Color Wheels:eek:

I spent a year getting this done & went to everybody in the Biz! From East to West! And, As They Say "For Nothing"

Why? As I stated on the reply of 1/27/10, Our Jolly Brother from the UK, Figured Out that the CBR1100XX Front Rotors Bolt Right On with out any MACHINING! AND THEY DO:clap:

As to the RC51, I Bought the entire Front End with the Front wheel off of EBAY last year for $500! & $50 for Shipping!

I have Inverted Forks, Entire Triple Tree Assembly, 17mm Master Cylinder, Galfer Super Bike Lines, HRC Calipers & the SP1 17 inch Front Wheel! And had it installed for $100 + New stem bearing!!! So Far, $650!

I have an Up to Date Front End Unmatched by anything else you could DO! $650 As To $2500 for a Wheel!

Do the #'s Add Up NOW?
:eyebrows:

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I'm glad you mentioned that bladeracer! Finding an F3 Front Wheel Used in Xcellent Condition in the States on EBAY, cost around $175 to $300 or More! New, from Ron Ayers, is $600!!! Now, Buying after Market Rotors to be Machined by a Race Shop is around $400 to $600!!! Galfer Rotors on Average for the CBR900RR is $500! Drilling out the Front Rotors, $50 to $75 a set & Casting the 5mm Shims, another $100 to $150!!! *You only get "1" Shot at Drilling the Elongating Holes into the Rotors! They must be PERFECT! So Far, that's $1000!!! By the way, this doesn't include all the time, money & effort spent on Phone Calls, Faxes, Internet Searches on Forums & Shipping Things to This "1" & That "1"! That's another $1000 +!!! And Don't Forget, THE POWDER COATING; ANOTHER $300 +!!! Unless you want to Ride Around [email protected]@King Stupid with 2-different Color Wheels:eek:

I spent a year getting this done & went to everybody in the Biz! From East to West! And, As They Say "For Nothing"

Why? As I stated on the reply of 1/27/10, Our Jolly Brother from the UK, Figured Out that the CBR1100XX Front Rotors Bolt Right On with out any MACHINING! AND THEY DO:clap:

As to the RC51, I Bought the entire Front End with the Front wheel off of EBAY last year for $500! & $50 for Shipping!

I have Inverted Forks, Entire Triple Tree Assembly, 17mm Master Cylinder, Galfer Super Bike Lines, HRC Calipers & the SP1 17 inch Front Wheel! And had it installed for $100 + New stem bearing!!! So Far, $650!

I have an Up to Date Front End Unmatched by anything else you could DO! $650 As To $2500 for a Wheel!

Do the #'s Add Up NOW?:eyebrows:
Those numbers make even less sense :)
You're comparing a secondhand front end to a new front wheel price including a heap of not-required extras?
Why would you need to machine the rotors?
And why would you need to buy new aftermarket rotors to machine when you are clearly perfectly happy running secondhand OEM rotors on yours?
As stated by Charles in this thread to do the swap you're looking at the cost of the wheel and $100 in machine work - by your own figures that's $275 to $400 at most, which is at least $250 less than your $650 frontend swap...
I don't consider RC51 forks to be a significant upgrade over the one-year older 900RR forks.
What are HRC calipers?
Why would you look stupid to run different coloured wheels? Some bikes come with different wheel colours from the factory :)

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
My Man from OZ! I think you've been there too long :hss:
Charles info on the use of the VFR800 Wheel for the 17 inch Conversion from the 16 OEM CBR900RR, isn't common nor useful with the amount of info NOW available for the F3 Front Wheel!:thumbd:

Performance Machine (PM) along with Two Brothers Racing, created the 17 inch wheel for racers back in the early to mid 90's under AMA Rules! PM Wheels where the only manufacturer that made a ready bolt on 17 inch front Wheel for the CBR900RR's! And they're still the only "1's" who still do!:clap:

By 95, when the F3 was Released, some ingenious CBR900RR Racing Nut figured out that the F3 Front Wheel would work on the CBR900RR! And Walla! Wooosh There It [email protected]@s! The CBR900RR's were still the #1 Race Bikes in the AMA circuit! Remember Nicky Hayden? What Bike was He Racing & for Whom?? The CBR900RR for Erion's Race Team!!! And what 17 inch Front Wheel did they Use?
The F3!:D

No "1" is going to spend Money on OEM Rotors to be Drilled for a custom fit F3 wheel conversion for their 900! You seem to have forgotten that in most cases, the Rotors are used & abused! :nono:

The RC51 Forks (Inverted) are the most Advanced Forks ever made by Honda's HRC Division for a street Bikes EVER! The RC51 was discontinued in 06! I have the 06 Forks with Ohlins Super Bike Internals done by Dan Kyle Racing! And this bike & only this bike from Honda, came with HRC (HONDA RACING CORPORATION) Calipers! And YOU own a HONDA & Didn't Know That:idunno:

There is NO Substitute for the Performance & Response from Inverted Forks! Which is why Honda Discontinued them on their Super bikes! CBR900RR's Being the LAST!

And last but Not least, the Wheels! State Side, we want our wheels to match our bikes! Unless you have some Custom Color Theme Going ON! Otherwise, we don't ride around with miss matched wheels on our bikes! And they don't come like that from the Dealers!!!:mad:

1st; pix of Erion CBR900RR F3 Front 2nd; To enjoy the View:eyebrows:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
My Man from OZ! I think you've been there too long :hss:
Charles info on the use of the VFR800 Wheel for the 17 inch Conversion from the 16 OEM CBR900RR, isn't common nor useful with the amount of info NOW available for the F3 Front Wheel!:thumbd:

Performance Machine (PM) along with Two Brothers Racing, created the 17 inch wheel for racers back in the early to mid 90's under AMA Rules! PM Wheels where the only manufacturer that made a ready bolt on 17 inch front Wheel for the CBR900RR's! And they're still the only "1's" who still do!:clap:

By 95, when the F3 was Released, some ingenious CBR900RR Racing Nut figured out that the F3 Front Wheel would work on the CBR900RR! And Walla! Wooosh There It [email protected]@s! The CBR900RR's were still the #1 Race Bikes in the AMA circuit! Remember Nicky Hayden? What Bike was He Racing & for Whom?? The CBR900RR for Erion's Race Team!!! And what 17 inch Front Wheel did they Use?
The F3!:D

No "1" is going to spend Money on OEM Rotors to be Drilled for a custom fit F3 wheel conversion for their 900! You seem to have forgotten that in most cases, the Rotors are used & abused! :nono:

The RC51 Forks (Inverted) are the most Advanced Forks ever made by Honda's HRC Division for a street Bikes EVER! The RC51 was discontinued in 06! I have the 06 Forks with Ohlins Super Bike Internals done by Dan Kyle Racing! And this bike & only this bike from Honda, came with HRC (HONDA RACING CORPORATION) Calipers! And YOU own a HONDA & Didn't Know That:idunno:

There is NO Substitute for the Performance & Response from Inverted Forks! Which is why Honda Discontinued them on their Super bikes! CBR900RR's Being the LAST!

And last but Not least, the Wheels! State Side, we want our wheels to match our bikes! Unless you have some Custom Color Theme Going ON! Otherwise, we don't ride around with miss matched wheels on our bikes! And they don't come like that from the Dealers!!!:mad:

1st; pix of Erion CBR900RR F3 Front 2nd; To enjoy the View:eyebrows:
If the F3 wheel _was_ a common modification for $2500 (which is a joke) then maybe now that people realise they can use the VFR800 wheel (also from '98) for just a few hundred dollars they'd be stupid to mess with the F3 wheel.
What relevance is there to who made an aftermarket wheel back in the mid nineties? Why wouldn't people simply run a 17" wheel off something else that had them, the obvious choice being the GSXR750 from '88 onwards. The F3 info you claim is NOW available was available ten years ago and people were doing the swap back then - it's not new information because you only discovered it in '07/'08.
Yes, I remember Nicky Hayden, vaguely. He used to win some races _many_ years ago I think. A poor joke he's turned into.
Who on earth told you the RC51 forks were so special? Modern forks would be better whether inverts or conventional.
You didn't mention that you paid $650 for your frontend with Ohlins internals, that's a great deal.
So the calipers are marked HRC? The ones I've seen are Nissin's similar to the Blades and F4.
I own a Honda because it was cheap at the time, not because I care who made the calipers :)
You have it backwards. Honda kept the conventional forks for so long because inverts aren't any better. Then they eventually joined in with everybody else to keep up with fashion. Same with radial brake calipers, they're no better than conventionals either.
As for coloured wheels, those F3 wheels you love so much, what colour are they on the Smokin' Joe...

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The point of this thread was to put a solution out there that people continuously ask for. Please stop polluting it with a bunch of mis-information. I did EXTENSIVE research on this, including precision measurements with a CNC. I am completely confident in every word i posted and I think having a working 17 in front wheel for around 200 bucks is a hell of a deal.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I am completely confident in every word i posted and I think having a working 17 in front wheel for around 200 bucks is a hell of a deal.
Absolutely. That's why I suggested it be stickied. Every time the question gets asked the answers vary quite wildly, so it would be good to be able to direct people to one single source of a simple way that works with minimal cost in time and money.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
My reason in participating in this thread, was to inform you as to the vast information that has been written on this subject in the past 12 to 15 years! including mine! From Periodicals written in Magazines; like Sport Ryder, Motorcyclist , Superbike, & Internet; CBR-Forum, RRZone & Fireblades!

When I 1st did this conversion was back in 97! And the length of time to do it was the cost I mention! On average, to do this Conversion Correctly, will involve a Grand or More! Half A$$, much less!

As to Nicky Hayden, he won back to back AMA Super Bike Championships! And helped Colin Edwards win in the AMA Super Bike Championship as his Teammate on the RC51! Which is why Repsol Honda Chose him for the World Moto GP Team! And he Won the World Moto GP! Once! But He did Win! Just like Stoner Did! What have you Won??? A True Racer never Puts Down another for Their Achievements! I guess that says a lot about YOU!

And Now to the Forks as YOU put it bladeracer! Ohlins are the Worlds premier Forks and they're All Inverted for a Reason! Including Showas! Which I will not elaborate on any further because you have demonstrated that you lack the Intelligence & the Comprehension to understand this! Must be the Sheep! Mahahah!

This site as others are here to support Us, Stand by Us & Prevail to our Success! "Survival" Maintaining it's Integrity, it's Honesty & Devotion is only as Good! as it's members ARE!

You Guys are STUPID!!!
:evilaugh:

As I said "enjoy the view"!:D

·
Registered
240 Posts
My reason in participating in this thread, was to inform you as to the vast information that has been written on this subject in the past 12 to 15 years! including mine! From Periodicals written in Magazines; like Sport Ryder, Motorcyclist , Superbike, & Internet; CBR-Forum, RRZone & Fireblades!

When I 1st did this conversion was back in 97! And the length of time to do it was the cost I mention! On average, to do this Conversion Correctly, will involve a Grand or More! Half A$$, much less!

As to Nicky Hayden, he won back to back AMA Super Bike Championships! And helped Colin Edwards win in the AMA Super Bike Championship as his Teammate on the RC51! Which is why Repsol Honda Chose him for the World Moto GP Team! And he Won the World Moto GP! Once! But He did Win! Just like Stoner Did! What have you Won??? A True Racer never Puts Down another for Their Achievements! I guess that says a lot about YOU!

And Now to the Forks as YOU put it bladeracer! Ohlins are the Worlds premier Forks and they're All Inverted for a Reason! Including Showas! Which I will not elaborate on any further because you have demonstrated that you lack the Intelligence & the Comprehension to understand this! Must be the Sheep! Mahahah!

This site as others are here to support Us, Stand by Us & Prevail to our Success! "Survival" Maintaining it's Integrity, it's Honesty & Devotion is only as Good! as it's members ARE!

You Guys are STUPID!!!
:evilaugh:

I did the conversion about 5 years ago on my 93. Got the f3 wheel for $160 shipped, and $100 to machine a bit of the hub off so I could use the original hub driven speedo, and to straighten my original rotors as mine were slightly out of spec (they are still true today). The cbr900 and f3 rotors are identical, no machining or elongating of the holes required. Direct bolt on. I would have to use my imagination to try to spend $2500.
Man, the machine shop and powder coaters saw you coming a mile away, and they took you for a hard ride.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
A True Racer never Puts Down another for Their Achievements! I guess that says a lot about YOU!
If he were simply enjoying the sport I'd be right behind him but he isn't.
He is being paid _millions_ of dollars that comes out of his fan's pockets to do a job that he clearly can't handle - but he keeps taking the money.

·
Registered
802 Posts

You Guys are STUPID!!!:evilaugh:

:boxing: FIGHT.....FIGHT.....FIGHT :boxing:

Easiest thing to do is buy one thats been done..I got mine from Ebay 92 quid....Better that spending a grand ( still don't see how you can spend that much money on buying and machining a secondhand wheel, when a 17" carbonfibre wheel costs less than that)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 79 Posts