Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Already introduced myself on the introductions page but thought I'd post this here for more coverage.
I'm in the UK and purchased a cbr900rrv last year so thought I would register here. It has had 99 paint thrown at it some time ago and I have fitted titax shorty levers, single seat cowl, clear led rear lights, HID front lamp kit, and mini arrow turn signals. Here's a pic of the bike.

http://www.triumphtorque.com/media/file/69311.jpg

http://www.triumphtorque.com/media/file/69312.jpg

Well, what you all think?:)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not quite a newbie but I haven't been in here for a while, but my RRV went a long time ago in a swap with a Triumph Daytona which also got moved on and a while later I had an RR9 Blade and plenty more bikes in between, which have all made way for a new MT10 which is an absolute animal.

However, the reason for my visit is I may yet be collecting an RR-T on the weekend which needs re-assembly as the guy has decided to get shot of all his FireBlades.

If it happens, I'll be back with a few pics.

For now, heres my old RRV and RRW

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers matey. The thing is he must have been serious as he has sent me over 30 pics of what I was purchasing!

I don't really need another bike as I am in lust with my MT10 ( :) ) but I usually do one project a year, last year was a Daytona 955i, the year before was a 98 R1 and before that was an SV650 and a 28 year old CBR1000F.

Maybe I can find a complete bike and start afresh? Plenty of fighters out there but it's the lack of brackets and headlamp etc which would concern me.

Reading through IanDoohans track bike thread, it's good to see how you can turn shite into a shiny toy so maybe I need to keep looking.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Cheers matey. The thing is he must have been serious as he has sent me over 30 pics of what I was purchasing!

I don't really need another bike as I am in lust with my MT10 ( :) ) but I usually do one project a year, last year was a Daytona 955i, the year before was a 98 R1 and before that was an SV650 and a 28 year old CBR1000F.

Maybe I can find a complete bike and start afresh? Plenty of fighters out there but it's the lack of brackets and headlamp etc which would concern me.

Reading through IanDoohans track bike thread, it's good to see how you can turn shite into a shiny toy so maybe I need to keep looking.
Must say I would'nt got rid of the 98R1 that's got to be a keeper, there are plenty of Blades about all said and done:wink

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was ok in all honesty but a 40k mile R1 is always gonna have it's limit in the market.

Got it for a £1000 after being laid up for 4 year and after going through it all (mopped the paint, new wheel and suspension bearings, c chain and rear sprocket, fork seals, stick coil conversion, low mile rear shock and powder coated rims, all connectors protected with corrosion block, original turn signals and exhaust and a resprayed Chinese seat cowl), then sold it for £2500. Probably cleared £3-400 but it's the work I enjoy and I managed to add 1500 miles on it so its win-win really.

I'm sure I forgot a few bits but it pretty much sums it up.

Attachments

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,387 Posts
Not wanting to jinx myself again......I'm hoping to.....I'll be back in short order if it happens. Gotta keep these forums going with fresh meat eh? :D
If I had the $$ to keep buying wrecks (as you saw in my threads those two 900's were had for only $500), I would do a build a year. I love them so much, but I'm also realizing that parts are getting more and more scarce. I hope I can keep these 2 going for another 10 years or so. Here's another one for you matey, my first 900RR build from back in the 90's when I was 20 and had no cares in the world! :rotfl:

https://www.fireblades.org/forums/h...-my-1993-rr-3-year-winter-revamp-96-98-a.html

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Magic matey, I'll check it out. Thanks.

I see you had an old Hurricane? I too had an 89 CBR1000F and loved it, very under rated bikes for the big old girl that they are. Paid £200 after my mate let on his old bike was sitting in a field for the past 2 years.

Looked like this upon purchase and the finished article less than 6 months later.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, my first sport bike. Is that grass growing up into her??????:eek:

You gave her a proper rebirth!!:clap:
Haha, yeah, it was in a bad state when I got it. Not turned over in 2 years and left without a cover over her. All brakes seized solid (that was fun trying to free everything off to push her 200 feet through a boggy field into my sons van!

In all fairness, the day I got it home, it had the original fuel in the tank, the original Motobatt AGM battery, I charged up the battery, sprayed brake cleaner into the inlet and she started up on the 2nd or 3rd turn! Even the strip down was easy, nothing was seized!
Says a lot about the build quality of the older Hondas!

The video below was the same afternoon!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Didn't go for the 97 RRV, did a mileage check last night and found a milage discrepancy of -11400 miles back in 2011 so even though its genuine mileage is only 30k instead of 19 it still put me off enough along with 2 hairline body cracks and only 1 key and no history. There are plenty of others out there so I walked. No rush.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not quite where I want to be, but today I picked up a 20 year old Mk1 Suzuki Bandit 600 which hasn't seen the road for 7 years for £500 so it'll get it road worthy hopefully without spending too much and get it moved on and maybe I can put a few more bucks in the Fireblade fund. Should be an easy turn around and flip as they seem to sell well enough.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.