Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys newbie on this forum and with motorcycle mechanicing lol.

Just bought my '98 CBR900rr about two weeks ago in rough condition.

It looked to have been wrecked by the owner before the one I purchased it from. It has been sitting for who knows how long. I know for sure it needed some TLC.

The day I bought it, it took a few tries to get it started up on just a jump box, but once it did it sounded mean and sputtering due to old gas in the tank. After a bit it idled fairly smooth.

So far, I have replaced it with a new battery, changed the oil/filter, drained the old gas and filled the tank up with new.

My problem is I can't get the dang thing to start. You can hear it hit the starter fuse, but it just keeps trying to crank and barely spits a few times with the choke on. The electric start does stick, so I have to pull it back out with my finger to let off.

Like I said, I am new at this. Any help or troubleshooting solutions is much appreciated!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Sounds like the carbs need a clean, first take the carbs off and flush through with carb cleaner, then try it again, if she fires have the carbs sonic cleaned by your local rip off merchant! Had a similar problem with mine, also when you have them cleaned, put an inline fuel filter in to stop mor **** going through the carbs

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh that sounds about right. I noticed when I took the tank and air filter housing off, they did look pretty dirty. I'll try that soon. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Hey guys newbie on this forum and with motorcycle mechanicing lol.

Just bought my '98 CBR900rr about two weeks ago in rough condition.

It looked to have been wrecked by the owner before the one I purchased it from. It has been sitting for who knows how long. I know for sure it needed some TLC.

The day I bought it, it took a few tries to get it started up on just a jump box, but once it did it sounded mean and sputtering due to old gas in the tank. After a bit it idled fairly smooth.

So far, I have replaced it with a new battery, changed the oil/filter, drained the old gas and filled the tank up with new.

My problem is I can't get the dang thing to start. You can hear it hit the starter fuse, but it just keeps trying to crank and barely spits a few times with the choke on. The electric start does stick, so I have to pull it back out with my finger to let off.

Like I said, I am new at this. Any help or troubleshooting solutions is much appreciated!

Strip everything out of the carbs and ensure carb cleaner flows through all orifices.
And fix the starter button ;-)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts