Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. So I been searching Google and here vigorously trying to figure out why my bike won't start. Here's the bike details:
98 cbr900rr
New plugs
New battery
new oil

Here's the problem:
Bought the bike 2 weeks ago.
drove it home, had to jump it off to start it
got home and it wouldn't crank back up.
bought a new battery, charged it, Crunk for 2 minutes and wouldn't recranllk. checked voltage=12.2v
decided I might have fouled plugs, so I changed them after 2.5 hr.. still won't crank

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,354 Posts
12.2 volts isn't a great charge on such a new battery. 12.7 is considered fully charged. If it started and ran fine the day you brought it home I would suggest there's a charging problem, vs a fuel problem. However if it's been sitting for more than 4 months the carbs may need to be gone through. Anyway, check the reg/rec and stator connectors for melting/overheating. Follow the steps listed here:

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/Troubleshooting-3P-PMG-&-RR.pdf

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so now it's running...jumped it off...Crunk right up. But...even after warmup, it won't go over 5k rpm and is backfiring g like crazy

·
7,354 Posts
Maybe you got lucky on the ride home and now some junk is in the carbs. Make sure you're gettig proper fuel from the tank, the tank is free of rust and debris, and whip the carbies off for a complete tear down and cleaning.

How many miles on it? Any chance it jumped a tooth on the cam sprockets?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
30k miles. Been thinking about the car cleaning. Just not looking ford to spending 200$ on the 4 kits. Especially not $400 at the local shop

·
7,354 Posts
30k miles. Been thinking about the car cleaning. Just not looking ford to spending 200$ on the 4 kits. Especially not $400 at the local shop
Get a manual and dive into them yourself. It's not rocket science, take pics of them before you disassemble them, use a punch to mark them 1-2-3-4 from left to right as they are on the engine as you sit on the bike. Probably won't be the last time you'll need to take them apart anyhow. Kits should run you about $100, not 200. Shop around.

·
7,354 Posts
Anyone want it for 2500 today in alabama lol
Whoa! Patience young padawan. Hahahaha I would come take it off your hands but we're in the middle of a Blizzard up here in the northeast....again. lol Does it have an aftermarket exhaust on it? I would only jet it if it has an aftermarket exhaust on it really, to benefit the added fuel mixture.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts