Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all, it's time for fresh chain and sprockets on my 98 f3. Do you guys run stock 15 - 43 with a 525 or -1 -?
I do a lot of freeway driving... Shop recommends -1 (14) -5 (38). what do you think?

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
When I used to do a LOT of highway riding, I chose a +1F -3R setup (with new chain). I was quite pleased with the lower RPMs at speed, increased fuel economy, and "extended" mileage I'd get from a tank of fuel.

Unless you're looking to set a new land-speed record, the aforementioned -1F -5R sounds a bit much :hmm: unless they're looking to sell you a new clutch as well :twocents:

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
Nothing significant with the +1/-3... but I surely wouldn't recommend many "in town" shenanigans with that set-up :nono:

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
When I used to do a LOT of highway riding, I chose a +1F -3R setup (with new chain). I was quite pleased with the lower RPMs at speed, increased fuel economy, and "extended" mileage I'd get from a tank of fuel.

Unless you're looking to set a new land-speed record, the aforementioned -1F -5R sounds a bit much :hmm: unless they're looking to sell you a new clutch as well :twocents:
So I've heard it said that a change of 1 tooth front is equivalent to 3 on the rear.
Following that reasoning, your ratio is the same as stock.
You said lower rpms at speed now - so you gained some top-end, but lost just a little power or quickness at lower rpms?

Since most folks go the opposite way, like my -1+2, I'm just trying to wrap my head around your setup. I understand your intent was different than mine, but your end choice seems like it would have minimal effect. How big of a change was it?

·
Registered
234 Posts
To figure out what you want and compare it to what you have, divide the "rear" by the "front". 43 divide by 15 = 2.87
The shop recommendation 38 divide be 14 = 2.71. Not a whole lot of difference. Save your money, get the 520 conversion, 525 aint worth it. More options available with 530 or 520. Now a 42 rear with a 16 front. only 1 tooth difference on each end than stock = 2.63.

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
So I've heard it said that a change of 1 tooth front is equivalent to 3 on the rear.
I've heard that too Jon... dropping one in the front is like adding three in the rear.

Following that reasoning, your ratio is the same as stock.
Almost... adding one in the front was like dropping 3 in the rear. That, accompanied by the 40T rear (-3) would be like having a 37T rear.

as per @coalminer frank's formula:
16/43= 2.687 (OEM)
17/40= 2.353 (Casey's old highway set-up)
16/37= 2.312 (just for reference. never heard of a 37T rear)

15/45= 3.000 (Casey's RR3)
15/47= 3.133 (Casey's RR2)

You said lower rpms at speed now - so you gained some top-end, but lost just a little power or quickness at lower rpms?
yup. :thumb:

Since most folks go the opposite way, like my -1+2, I'm just trying to wrap my head around your setup. I understand your intent was different than mine, but your end choice seems like it would have minimal effect. How big of a change was it?
That was almost 10 years ago, mi amigo. I remember it being "lethargic" when getting back on the on-ramps after fuel fill-ups during long trips. Although while on the Interstates, my memory is of less vibration in the bars and MsPG being in the upper 40s.

Currently my RR2 is 15/47 (-1/+4) and my RR3 is 15/45. Both with 520 "conversions".

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
-1F -5R sounds a bit much :hmm: unless they're looking to sell you a new clutch as well :twocents:
I know I typed this... but for some reason I READ it as +1/-5 :bonk:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts