Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys i'm in the UK and going through the a restoration on my 98 blade. this was my track/race bike soon to be road bike (happy days).
After connecting all wiring back up and uncovering the speedo i found that when the ignition was switched on the needle would jump up to 25 MPH and stays there until sensor picks up movement. so when stationary it reads 25 and climbs from there not 0. Ive disconnected the speed sensor and this made no differance the speedo still read 25 when the ignition was switched on.

Any ideas or fixes i could try would be apprciated thanks.

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,565 Posts
Try opening up the cluster and removing the needle, without moving the stem from the current position. Reset the needle to 0 against the stop (if it has one) and give it power to see if it worked.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response but i dont think this will work as when the speedo has no power it sits at 0. it only when it has power it jumps to 25. would a speedo recalibration fix this or would i have to source new parts.

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,565 Posts
Hmmmmm, does it move from 25 once the sensor picks up the pulses when in motion? Sounds like there is a short feeding a pulse of power to the clocks. I would make sure all the wiring is proper with a meter before throwing in new parts.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Sounds more like a stray voltage on the speedo line. The pulse generator seems to be a Hall effect device from what I have found, so should be inert until a magnetic field passes over the sensor, I would take a quick look inside the cluster itself, look for bits of green corrosion on the tracks, bleeding enough voltage to trick the speedo head into thinking it has a pulse supply.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts