Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello evrybody! New here and m/c beginner rider. I recently bought a 98 honda cbr 900rr (used). The guy i bought it from didnt tell me few things wrong wit when i got. He told me it only really needed was a battery and alil tlc but it was obvious about the tlc bc it was still a good deal. I charged the battery today but when i unhooked the positive cable it shut off. Stupid me thinkin it had an alternator. Lol! i hav a cpl questions if anybody willing to help. Wat and where is the part that needs to be fixed that was killin the battery and is suppose to charge the battery? And wat wud be a standard chain and back sproket for it? Thanx for ur time and help!

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Hello evrybody! New here and m/c beginner rider. I recently bought a 98 honda cbr 900rr (used). The guy i bought it from didnt tell me few things wrong wit when i got. He told me it only really needed was a battery and alil tlc but it was obvious about the tlc bc it was still a good deal. I charged the battery today but when i unhooked the positive cable it shut off. Stupid me thinkin it had an alternator. Lol! i hav a cpl questions if anybody willing to help. Wat and where is the part that needs to be fixed that was killin the battery and is suppose to charge the battery? And wat wud be a standard chain and back sproket for it? Thanx for ur time and help!

Why did you disconnect the battery cable?
I think you really need to get yourself a manual.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was thinkin u cud test like u cud on a car. Im new at this. Sorry. ill hav to get one. How wud u check to see if m/c is chargin the battery?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Was thinkin u cud test like u cud on a car. Im new at this. Sorry. ill hav to get one. How wud u check to see if m/c is chargin the battery?

Just like a car you measure the voltage across the battery.

·
Registered
53 Posts
u cant disconnect battery as electrical system runs off battery and alternator charges battery, same as a car.
you need to test voltage at battery terminals with engine off, then with engine on, at 5000rpm the voltage should read 13v-15.5v

might be worth taking your battery to bike shop, to get it checked, if its knackered its knackered. bike batteries tend to fail when allowed to drain fully, and will never work to full capacity, and a new battery will only set you back £20-30. do this first before you investigate further.

the alternator is on the left hand side of the engine, behind the exposed cover, and will require you to drain oil to remove

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
u cant disconnect battery as electrical system runs off battery and alternator charges battery, same as a car.
you need to test voltage at battery terminals with engine off, then with engine on, at 5000rpm the voltage should read 13v-15.5v

might be worth taking your battery to bike shop, to get it checked, if its knackered its knackered. bike batteries tend to fail when allowed to drain fully, and will never work to full capacity, and a new battery will only set you back £20-30. do this first before you investigate further.

the alternator is on the left hand side of the engine, behind the exposed cover, and will require you to drain oil to remove

That would get you a pretty crappy battery.
Last one I bought cost me A$165.00.
You can buy cheaper but longterm it's cheaper to just buy a good Yuasa one.

·
Registered
53 Posts
That would get you a pretty crappy battery.
Last one I bought cost me A$165.00.
You can buy cheaper but longterm it's cheaper to just buy a good Yuasa one.
thats was for a yuasa one, which i replaced in june, plus cost dont ensure quality, plenty of name brand products are manufactured in less than top quality factories

either way, if he suspects he may have a fault causing batteries to fail, then a 'crappy' battery might be better, would you spend top money on one if you thought you may be scrapping it in a couple of weeks?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
thats was for a yuasa one, which i replaced in june, plus cost dont ensure quality, plenty of name brand products are manufactured in less than top quality factories

either way, if he suspects he may have a fault causing batteries to fail, then a 'crappy' battery might be better, would you spend top money on one if you thought you may be scrapping it in a couple of weeks?

That is a hell of a price for a genuine Yuasa battery - what model is it? How much are the crap Chinese ones then?
Price and quality have no relationship at all, but I can't imagine any battery as cheap as that being any good at all.
I'd sort out the electrical problem first in that case and then replace the battery.

·
Registered
53 Posts
That is a hell of a price for a genuine Yuasa battery - what model is it? How much are the crap Chinese ones then?
Price and quality have no relationship at all, but I can't imagine any battery as cheap as that being any good at all.
I'd sort out the electrical problem first in that case and then replace the battery.
dunno about part number as its on the bike, and i aint looking ;), but i think its a ytx9-bs
and as for price of chinese ones, again i dont know, seller sold this to me when i was stuck in middle of nowhere and did me a good price to get me running.

£32.95 on ebay

as for sorting electrical problem first, if he can great, but sometimes you need the battery to do the testing

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
dunno about part number as its on the bike, and i aint looking ;), but i think its a ytx9-bs
and as for price of chinese ones, again i dont know, seller sold this to me when i was stuck in middle of nowhere and did me a good price to get me running.

£32.95 on ebay

as for sorting electrical problem first, if he can great, but sometimes you need the battery to do the testing

So it is a sealed battery then?
As long as it's not one of Yuasa's bottom quality Chinese-made things then that is a terrific price.
You need power perhaps, you don't need to buy a battery for that though. I would usually run jumper leads from a car battery if I'm trying to diagnose a problem with a bad battery.

·
Registered
53 Posts
So it is a sealed battery then?
As long as it's not one of Yuasa's bottom quality Chinese-made things then that is a terrific price.
You need power perhaps, you don't need to buy a battery for that though. I would usually run jumper leads from a car battery if I'm trying to diagnose a problem with a bad battery.
yep sealed battery.

fair point for the jumping off car battery, ive done it myself, tho find it hard at home as my drive is at a 25 degree slope and my bike is stored in a workshop 40m away

1 - 11 of 11 Posts