Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone ever looks at this I'd like to get some input one an aftermarket system/slip on for my VFR. I'm looking for a reasonably quite one. And I'm also thinking of adding a PowerCommander also. TIA :thumb:

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
A sure sign of advanced age is a Staintune on a VFR.....so I am guilty as charged. Sounds good, looks good....heavy as hell, just like the bike it's mounted to.... :)

If you are a young squidly type, get a Micron... :smilebig:

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Red Rider said:
My Wolf was a slipon... :D

Wolf Underseat
It's been a couple of years since I rode with the "Wolf"....and I swear my ears are still ringing.... :smilebig: :smilebig:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Baketech said:
A sure sign of advanced age is a Staintune on a VFR.....so I am guilty as charged. Sounds good, looks good....heavy as hell, just like the bike it's mounted to.... :)

If you are a young squidly type, get a Micron... :smilebig:
:rotfl:

Hey, wait a minute, I've got a Staintune also... What am I laughing at?

I didn't think the 'Tune was heavy, not compared to the stocker. It's definitely a mellower, warmer sound. Not near as raspy as the Micron, which does sound pretty tough, but is a little on the loud side. I could hear my buddy start up his Micron equipped VFR in the morning and he lived a block away!

Just keep in mind the Staintune is purely for looks and noise, no performance claims whatsoever. So if you're looking for a bit of a boost look at the others. Personally, though, if I could do it all over again, I'd still get the Staintune. :thumb:

Tom

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
My enutniantS is lighter than stock...but still heavy compared to Al or Ti pipes...... But, I don't care, I like the sound and the easy cleaning after riding in rain and mud..... :smilebig:

Edit:
Nice looking high mount Skully.... :thumb:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, thanks to all! :clap:
Staintune is show and no, or not much go. And Micron is a little bit louder than stock maybe, but has some go. Wolf sounds like it maybe too loud. I'm not looking for a noise maker if I can help it. I think a little more noise wouldn't or couldn't hurt. But I don't want to have to use ear plugs to go on a ride.

One more question. Does anyone have a HI Mount and use some type of saddle bag?

I only ask these questions because I'm a newbe to the VFR world.

TIA, Billy

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
VFR Billy said:
Staintune is show and no, or not much go. And Micron is a little bit louder than stock maybe, but has some go. Wolf sounds like it maybe too loud. I'm not looking for a noise maker if I can help it. I think a little more noise wouldn't or couldn't hurt. But I don't want to have to use ear plugs to go on a ride.

One more question. Does anyone have a HI Mount and use some type of saddle bag?

I only ask these questions because I'm a newbe to the VFR world.

TIA, Billy

Hey, Billy

Welcome to Fireblades.org and the world of VFR's.

A lot of infornation is available at this link. Click on the archives button. You might want to subscribe for a while, too. You'll learn a LOT about oil and tire pressures....

VFR list

I have a period-correct Vance & Hines slip-on for my '92, which means it's loud as hell and probably loses power..

:crap:

·
Registered
759 Posts
I don't think the power difference will be much between Staintune or any other brand. Looks are personal but I think it looked great, never needed to be repacked, and comes with a spud you can attach to make it as quiet as stock.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Skully said:
I don't think the power difference will be much between Staintune or any other brand. Looks are personal but I think it looked great, never needed to be repacked, and comes with a spud you can attach to make it as quiet as stock.
Staintune was and still is my favorite VFR exhaust, high mount of course. The Wolf was cool but really, really obnoxious.

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
lateapex said:
Staintune was and still is my favorite VFR exhaust, high mount of course. The Wolf was cool but really, really obnoxious.
It was only obnoxious if you were behind it! The Two Brothers I had before the Wolf made the V-4 rumble seem like music to my ears. :D

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Red Rider said:
It was only obnoxious if you were behind it! The Two Brothers I had before the Wolf made the V-4 rumble seem like music to my ears. :D
Unfortunately, my lack of skills meant that I only saw your Wolf from behind anyway.... :D

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Baketech said:
My enutniantS
I never did understand why they always spelled it backwards on the VFR list. Please enlighten me.

~I miss those days and wish I had my '94 VFR back.~

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
VFR Billy said:
Staintune is show and no, or not much go.
Oh, I'm not sure sure about that. My pals 99 with the Staintune slip was withint 1 hp of my '00 with the full TBR system (and a c2 can). Nearly shat my pants when his bike dyno'd out like that (same dyno but different days).

That aside.. they also have the spud you can put in for your mellow days. Personally, I liked the TBR's I had on my '00. With a couple of kits I had both High and Mid exit and C2 AL (for road trips) and the big C5 Ti for when I wanted to be a big-azz squid (even though the bike liked to dyno on the C2 better than the larger C5 go figure).

The Power Commander is just about a must if you want to make the pipe work you on the Viff. Get the O2 eliminators as well (if you have one with them).

All in all.. enjoy.. nothing sounds like an opened-up V4.
:thumb:

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 98' (sold) had a full Erion system on it and made 106.5hp with no Power Commander. The fit and finish of the system was excellent and it weighed next to nothing. I didn't find it overly loud unless you were really on the gas and it has a lifetime warranty and never needs repacking. I would recommend the slipon if you were intent on going that route, but the full system looked beautiful - especially with the heat sheild removed. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts