Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Well, I broke down today, no power whatsoever. I found out the main fuse was blown and when i put a new one in that blew straight away as well. When I got it recovered to my house, i took the cover off and tried again, this time the rectifier started blowing out smoke! So I did what I should have done in the first place and looked on here. Please correct me if I'm wrong but it seems that honda sports bikes and rectifiers are a problem and I've seen some suggestions to change the rectifier for one from another bike. so:

1. Is it likely that the rectifier is the fault rather than a symptom of the actual fault? I dont want to be buying rectifiers every couple off weeks, I'd rather spend time finding the cause of the problem.

2. Can anyone recommend a rectifier from another bike (UK if it makes any difference) that will last longer.

Thanks very much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I put in a new rectifier, a new one for a 2003 gsxr. I soldered the connections together and ran the bike and checked it all out and everything was great. Then I took it out for the day and when I got back I thought I'd just check again and now the voltage is way too high. Its getting about 17.5 to 18.5v at 5000rpm. The battery is getting a bit warm due to the increased voltage. The battery is pretty new, when I got it I stuck it on charge with an oxford optimizer 900 overnight. I've been through all the wiring and all seems ok except for one indicator bulb is badly corroded and will be replaced soon.

I found a flowchart to go through on the internet and I followed that all the way through and everything is as it should be. Does anyone have any other suggestions please?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts