Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help? My bike was stored for a while and when I got it out and gassed it up, one of the carbs filled with gas. after I thought that was taken care of it then sput oil and smoke out the tailpipe. I would like to get you guys opinions before I take it to the shop. I read online that the float valve would cause the gas issue, but what about the oil? Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Maybe the gas from flooding carb did fill the crankcase full of gas/oil. Then when you crank it crankcase pressure blew it in air box and cycled it thru to exhaust.
Is your crankcase overfull?
Airbox got oilly stuff sprayed in it?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Can anyone help? My bike was stored for a while and when I got it out and gassed it up, one of the carbs filled with gas. after I thought that was taken care of it then sput oil and smoke out the tailpipe. I would like to get you guys opinions before I take it to the shop. I read online that the float valve would cause the gas issue, but what about the oil? Thanks in advance for your help.

The fuel would've filled the crankcase as well, and the diluted oil would then come through the exhaust system.
If you have a vacuum-operated fuel tap, check the vacuum hose is not sucking fuel.
As already mentioned, check your oil.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Maybe the gas from flooding carb did fill the crankcase full of gas/oil. Then when you crank it crankcase pressure blew it in air box and cycled it thru to exhaust.
Is your crankcase overfull?
Airbox got oilly stuff sprayed in it?
The fuel would've filled the crankcase as well, and the diluted oil would then come through the exhaust system.
If you have a vacuum-operated fuel tap, check the vacuum hose is not sucking fuel.
As already mentioned, check your oil.
:plus1:Happened to me on a dirt bike someone borrowed, then stored. They left the pet-cock on, (dumb-a**). When I went to ride it a month later I found the cylinder/crankcase full of fuel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, the gas/oil was all in the air filter area.....how do I stop it? Thanks everyone for all the feedback....

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Replace engine oil with new to correct level.
Fix float overfilling.

Then gas her up and run it.
She gonna smoke for a bit but itll clear out.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
:plus1: Like 900 said oil and filter. Run it, ride it to clean her out. When you get back, disconnect the fuel line and see if the petcock is leaking, fix the petcock and figure out which needle/seat is leaking also. You already ran it so it's too late to pull the plugs and pump it out of the cylinders to avoid hydrolock, but if (hopefully not) there's a next time...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again guys, I did all that, had two floats stuck open....cleaned up everything. I now have a problem with idling. Seems like she is trying to run okay, but still a rough idle...will not idle unless choke is on. Do I just need to ride her out????

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Thanks again guys, I did all that, had two floats stuck open....cleaned up everything. I now have a problem with idling. Seems like she is trying to run okay, but still a rough idle...will not idle unless choke is on. Do I just need to ride her out????

You need to strip the carbs and clean the pilot circuits out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts