Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically checking for confirmation that I did this correctly.

Anyways, when I purchased my bike last Monday I was told by the previous owner that the stator was shot and that the bike wasn't charging. I purchased the bike without hearing it run because the battery was dead and it was 10 degrees in Minnesota. LOL I took the bike home and put it in my heated garage. The battery was beyond dead it didn't power the lights or anything, he says its a new battery within the last year.

I scooped up a new battery and the bike fired right up. Sounds strong. I set a voltmeter on the battery posts while the bike was at idle and it registered around 12.2 volts. When I rev the bike up the volts jump up to around 13.7, this means the bike is charging correctly doesn't it? Bikes don't charge at idle the way cars do, do they? Just trying to be sure that it was a faulty battery and not the stator.

Bike is a 99' 900RR if that makes any difference.

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
Looks way too low to me so maybe one of the stator windings is shot.
You'll have to take measurements of their output to know for sure.

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
slightly low, right?

around 14V at 5k?
I don't have specs for the '99 but 13.2V is a fully charged battery so it should be above that at idle. 12.2V is not good.
And something between 14V and 15V at 5000rpm I guess?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have specs for the '99 but 13.2V is a fully charged battery so it should be above that at idle. 12.2V is not good.
And something between 14V and 15V at 5000rpm I guess?
I'll have to double check tomorrow and see what the numbers were. Thanks for the quick replies!

EDIT: this is the correct way to check a stator, right?

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
I'll have to double check tomorrow and see what the numbers were. Thanks for the quick replies!

EDIT: this is the correct way to check a stator, right?
Pretty much.
Because the numbers are low it's probably not the regulator that's the problem.
The stator has three seperate windings. I think each puts out around 50-70V _AC_ power.
You also need to check them for continuity which will indicate if any have melted.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just went out and checked again. On idle the bike seems to be losing its charge. It dropped from 12.4 to 11.4 within minutes. However when I revved the bike up to around 4-5k it would hit 14.5 or higher without a problem. As soon as I let the bike back down to idle it starts losing its charge again dropping a volt within minutes. What do you think?

·
Registered
342 Posts
your charge voltage coming from teh battery should peak at abour 3k PRM, typically around 14-15 volts. after that point the voltage will actually start to slightly drop as a result of your voltage reg/rec stepping down the voltage.

the other thing you may want to consider is it is posible for a stator to still charge to some degree with a bad phase. in other words it will chage the bike while running, but not enough to keep up with the bikes electrical demands. this is a very dangerious situation as the bike could completely die at any time with no easy way to get it running again.

personaly i would pop open the stator cover and have a look. if the stator is bad then you will know. it will look burnt. i would check for continuity between the phases reguardless

·
Registered
37 Posts
i just fix this problem, mine was the stator. i yould charge my batt. ride for about ten min. and is would die, the whole bike was running of just the batt, i would do the same, charge the batt, test the batt volts, ride it(close to your house)get on the throttle a bit, then test the batt again, if not within 12.1 to 12.6 its the stator.also just look at your r/r plug for fried wires etc.

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
i just fix this problem, mine was the stator. i yould charge my batt. ride for about ten min. and is would die, the whole bike was running of just the batt, i would do the same, charge the batt, test the batt volts, ride it(close to your house)get on the throttle a bit, then test the batt again, if not within 12.1 to 12.6 its the stator.also just look at your r/r plug for fried wires etc.
Are you sure it was your stator?
12.1-12.6V is very low.
Is that with the engine running?

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
ideling im at 12.4( not good) and at 4k rpm i'm at 12.3(really not good) but i use to stall at a light when slowing down and that does not happen any more

Your stator is not charging then.
You should have at least 13.2V at idle and 14.0-15.5V at around 5000rpm.

·
Registered
342 Posts
ideling im at 12.4( not good) and at 4k rpm i'm at 12.3(really not good) but i use to stall at a light when slowing down and that does not happen any more
i second what Bladeracer said. your not charging.
have you pulled the stator cover to take a look yet? if you haven't and you do, take a pic and post. if your stator is fried it will look burnt.
also check your reg/rec and all those connectors inbetween

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.