Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the form and I just bought a 99 cbr 900rr. It was used as a stunt bike and it needs a lot of work. Thought I'd make it my winter project. I would like to know what other year parts will fit it? I'm needing the fairing brackets for the front headlight fairing and the brackets that hold the mirrors and the speedometer. Need a good speedomoeter and tank. What years can I pull off that would fit this bike. Thanks in advance

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,118 Posts
I'm new to the form and I just bought a 99 cbr 900rr. It was used as a stunt bike and it needs a lot of work. Thought I'd make it my winter project. I would like to know what other year parts will fit it? I'm needing the fairing brackets for the front headlight fairing and the brackets that hold the mirrors and the speedometer. Need a good speedomoeter and tank. What years can I pull off that would fit this bike. Thanks in advance

:welcome: Angelo. For the 99, there isn't as much choice as if you had a 93-97. I'm pretty sure you can go as far back as 96 for a fuel tank. The front fairing bracket and speedo I'm pretty sure are specific for the 98-99. 98 is basically a carbon copy of the 99. The mirror bracket is specific to the 98-99, as the front fairing was redesigned and the angles are slightly different to the other years. Of course you can make anything work with a little design and modification. I have done a common mod on my 93 900 by adding CBR600F4i gauges, made my own bracket, etc. You can get most stuff to work if you know what needs to done to make it work.

As far as other parts that will fit, it's kind of a crap shoot. The 98-99 models changed the front end so forks and front wheels from 93-97 don't match right up without some pretty involved modification. But as far as the tank 96-99 should all match right up, but the speedo is 98-99 specific. It can probably be done with 95-97 units, but you'll need a speedo healer and a different temp sensor (the 93-97 sensors are analog vs the 98-99 digital ones. If you really need a speedo I would recommend the F4i swap. Very easy to do.

Good luck with what you go with, update with pictures, and start a restoration thread if you want. Check out my signature links to my 2 build threads. Great reference pictures and good information.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:welcome: Angelo. For the 99, there isn't as much choice as if you had a 93-97. I'm pretty sure you can go as far back as 96 for a fuel tank. The front fairing bracket and speedo I'm pretty sure are specific for the 98-99. 98 is basically a carbon copy of the 99. The mirror bracket is specific to the 98-99, as the front fairing was redesigned and the angles are slightly different to the other years. Of course you can make anything work with a little design and modification. I have done a common mod on my 93 900 by adding CBR600F4i gauges, made my own bracket, etc. You can get most stuff to work if you know what needs to done to make it work.

As far as other parts that will fit, it's kind of a crap shoot. The 98-99 models changed the front end so forks and front wheels from 93-97 don't match right up without some pretty involved modification. But as far as the tank 96-99 should all match right up, but the speedo is 98-99 specific. It can probably be done with 95-97 units, but you'll need a speedo healer and a different temp sensor (the

93-97 sensors are analog vs the 98-99 digital ones. If you really need a speedo I would recommend the F4i swap. Very easy to do.

Good luck with what you go with, update with pictures, and start a restoration thread if you want. Check out my signature links to my 2 build threads. Great reference pictures and good information.
Thanks for the info. I would like to look into doing the F4i swap, would you have a link to it?

·
8,118 Posts
Thanks for the info. I would like to look into doing the F4i swap, would you have a link to it?
Sure, it's in my signature: the cafe 900 build. Click on Cafe and it will take you to my thread. I wired the gauges in later in the thread so if you don't want to read the whole thing there are great pics starting on page 25. For the 99 you may be able to just move some wires around in your connectors to match the colors up. Because mine was a 93 model I had to swap out connectors and slice into the harness. That's why it looks like a huge mess.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. It seems hard to find parts for a 99 since there are very limited bikes that are out there

·
8,118 Posts
Thanks for the info. It seems hard to find parts for a 99 since there are very limited bikes that are out there
You should be able to get most OEM parts for it through Partzilla. I bought all sorts of OEM parts for my 93 through them. If your looking for brackets and such they should have them at very discounted prices off retail.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You should be able to get most OEM parts for it through Partzilla. I bought all sorts of OEM parts for my 93 through them. If your looking for brackets and such they should have them at very discounted prices off retail.
Thanks for the info I'll check them out

1 - 7 of 7 Posts