Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 99 f4i motor that had a stuck piston. I pulled the head and with a combination of tapping the piston heads (gently) with a block of wood and putting pressure on the flywheel bolt it came loose. After it was free it turned fairly easily, I could turn it over with a hand on the flywheel. There was, however, some resistance. I put the head back on and put it in time according to the owners manual. With everything back together the starter won't turn it over. I have a brand new battery, no plugs in the holes and without the reduction gear on the starter (no resistance) the starter spins freely. I can turn the engine over with a wrench on the flywheel bolt with about 30 ft-lb of force (that is an estimate). During the freeing of the engine I never got into the crankcase.

I think my problem is one of the following but I'm not sure -1. I have done something wrong with the timing and it is making it hard to turn. 2. All motors are like this and I just need a new starter. 3. Bad bearings/ crank problems.

I am a complete newbe to motor work and would appreciate any input, Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't really have much experience rebuilding motors but I do have a fairly extensive background in mechanical repair. In my opinion you probably should've fully disassembled the block to inspect all parts to see if there is an underlying issue that caused the stuck piston and replaced anything worn while it was apart. How many miles are on the motor?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts