Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey im more or less looking for some second and third opinions, im pretty sure my stator is getting weak but who knows maybe this has happened to someone else in the past?

Heres whats happening, my 99 fireblade after boosting will run and charge its battery. And while running its generating 13.8 to 14 Volts <- tested with multimeter. Everything will be fine for a few days even a week and then all of a sudden the battery very slowly almost like a trickle effect dies within 3-4 days a week later.

I could be wrong the battery could be toast honestly im perplexed by it really, last I checked once the stator is weak it shouldnt charge at all should it?

Also if the battery was toast it wouldnt hold any kind of charge would it?

Now heres the weird part, the bike will be running and you can obviously see that the lights are starting to dim especially when the blinker is on. But if you get the revs up the lights get brighter ( meaning more power )

That last part I wrote is what makes me think its the stator? Any way I apologize for the book and any comments or opinions would be very much welcomed thanks

Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,890 Posts
Motorcycle stators don't really get going until at least a few thousand rpm.

Sounds to me like the battery is at fault - What voltage does it show after the bike's been switched off for 10-15 minutes? If it's less than about 12.3 you might want to look at a new battery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you know what I think it is around 12.3 when its off? maybe a little lower almost like the battery is leaking power? il double check it and if it is the battery then thats awsome because replacing the stator would cost alot more then replacing the battery.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,890 Posts
Try this - take the battery out, and throw it on an automatic charger to get it up to full charge. Take it off the charger, and an hour later check the voltage on it. If it's still 12.3, try a new battery. If it stays up at 12.7 (good charge), then something on the bike is being parasitic.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
32,034 Posts
Hey im more or less looking for some second and third opinions, im pretty sure my stator is getting weak but who knows maybe this has happened to someone else in the past?

Heres whats happening, my 99 fireblade after boosting will run and charge its battery. And while running its generating 13.8 to 14 Volts <- tested with multimeter. Everything will be fine for a few days even a week and then all of a sudden the battery very slowly almost like a trickle effect dies within 3-4 days a week later.

I could be wrong the battery could be toast honestly im perplexed by it really, last I checked once the stator is weak it shouldnt charge at all should it?

Also if the battery was toast it wouldnt hold any kind of charge would it?

Now heres the weird part, the bike will be running and you can obviously see that the lights are starting to dim especially when the blinker is on. But if you get the revs up the lights get brighter ( meaning more power )

That last part I wrote is what makes me think its the stator? Any way I apologize for the book and any comments or opinions would be very much welcomed thanks

Dan

The stator has three phases so perhaps you've lost one.
Check the AC voltage on each of the phases - they should be something like 50-70VAC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thought I should update this post, thank you everyone who responded. I finally narrowed my issue down which as I thought was stupid and right in my face, how I found it was while testing the three prong plug in leading from the stator to the Regulator Rectifier. Turns out it was an after market part ( obviously replaced at some point), and after some research I learned the after market VRR, only has a 1-2 llife span were as the Factory One with built in Heat Sink ( Since it is a CPU in sense of its own and generates large volumes of heat while converting AC to DC) tends to last 5-10 years or so.

Anyway after spending $210 Canadian for a factory Replacement problem solved defiantly a homer DOH moment!

Thanks again
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top