Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
ConqSoft said:
30mm, 7-barrel Gatling Gun off an A-10 Thunderbolt II (the "Warthog"). 3000 depleted uranium rounds per minute.
The Avenger. I like it... I like it alaut. :evilaugh:

·
Registered
356 Posts
what's the benefit of the depleted uranium? is it a stronger material for getting through tank armor?

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
TCD said:
what's the benefit of the depleted uranium? is it a stronger material for getting through tank armor?
Typically, bullets are lead with copper jackets. Depleted Uraniun is much more dense...MUCH more dense and penetrates alot better.

It'd be like the difference between getting hit by a baseball or getting hit with a baseball sized chunk of marble.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Yup, that's my baby!!!

I still can't believe they were thinking of mothballing the Warthog. That thing is awesome. Brings the pilots home even after multiple hits. Flys low and slow with firepower that is unbelievable...as you've all seen. Can fly high and fast too. That's not all the firepower available on this aircraft either.

Someday before I die, I hope I get a chance to pilot one, just for a simple cruise. The P-38 and the P-51 are the other two I would like to fly, but that ain't gonna happen.

Thanks for that link!

·
Registered
463 Posts
His 30mm, 7-barrel Gatling Gun off an A-10 Thunderbolt II brings all the boys to the yard....sorry, had to say something though, couldn't let this post go untouched :D

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I heard when they first tested the gun on the A-10, it almost crashed due to the recoil almost stopping the plane in mid-air :eek:

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
There is an A10 firing range about 12-13 miles from my house.....you can hear them firing quite clearly....it sounds like a dull roar. The rate of fire is so fast that you no longer hear the individual firings.....

Before 9/11 we used to go to the range to watch them fire......you could stand in the control tower close enough to see the pilots face during the firing.....earplugs were required.... :nod:
Since 9/11, the range has been closed...... :rant:

FWIW, the trigger on the gun has 2 detents....the first detent puts the plane on "autopilot" to stabilize the gun on target, and the 2nd notch fires the gun...range is rediculous....

The A10 is an awesome system.... :thumb:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Problem with A10's is they have to fly so close to the action they get torn up and shot down all the time. I would never want to fly one of those things into battle. Give me a F22,F16, F17 any day :D

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Baketech said:
:
Since 9/11, the range has been closed...... :rant:

The A10 is an awesome system.... :thumb:
Bake,

Do you have any more info as to why?

Yes, I agree. The Warthog is a fantastic system.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I once got a ride in a Marine AH-1W Super Cobra
I'm gob smacked even now, one of the most incredible experiences of my life.
The angles that thing could bank on :sless:

·
Registered
91 Posts
The WWI Hawker Hurricanes had a similar problem in climbing attacks. They were among the first fighters to have eight .303 machine guns firing from the wings. When they were fired in sustained bursts while climbing to attack a bomber from below, the recoil slowed the plane to stall speeds very quickly. pilots just learned to adapt and made sure they had enough altitude to recover.

I remember seeing AF training films in the late 70's showing the A-10 in development. It would show the A-10 fire a 2 second burst and then cut to a tank that started flying apart in big chunks.

They are great to watch as they work the battlefield. I saw them working at Ft Irwin during training there as rental OPFOR while in the 82nd. They have to roll past vertical to check the area for ground targets. The loiter time is amazing for these guys as well.

Just too much that can be said about them. Once, I heard the AF was going to retire them to be Forest Service Fire Bombers. Some were in use as FAC (Forward Air Controllers) to replace the O-2s as well. Not really sure what the latest plans for them are.

Keith

1 - 20 of 25 Posts