Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whatever the result, I would like to express my thanks to the US electorate and process for getting out there and voting in this important election. The turnout looks like it is going to be high and reports over here are of good participation from types of voters who often don't bother. It certainly looks as if the winner will have received a record number of votes cast.

It means that the President of the US will have strong legitimacy in his discussions with the rest of the world over what is, no doubt, a critical time for all of us.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
oldfogey said:
Whatever the result, I would like to express my thanks to the US electorate and process for getting out there and voting in this important election. The turnout looks like it is going to be high and reports over here are of good participation from types of voters who often don't bother. It certainly looks as if the winner will have received a record number of votes cast.

It means that the President of the US will have strong legitimacy in his discussions with the rest of the world over what is, no doubt, a critical time for all of us.

I appreciate this post. FWIW.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
oldfogey said:

Well said - thank you. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
nedro said:
Although they still only voted at a 17% rate, there were many more 18-27 year olds registered this time around which means more of them voted.
:huh: the same % rate as 2000 so I heard, and the majority went to Bush :idunno:

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
nedro said:
Although they still only voted at a 17% rate, there were many more 18-27 year olds registered this time around which means more of them voted.
The nice thing to me on young people registering is that even with no vote they are starting to take an interest. Next they can pay attention to issues and be more informed, then next election they are likely to vote (as informed voters)

A

·
0 Posts
An estimated 115million voters this time around. Up 10 million from four years ago.

A poor turnout in my opinion. A shining beacon of democracy?

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
figment said:
18-29yo still did not represent :rolleyes:

I was representin'! Had to leave work early and wait an hour to.

Oldfogey, nice one. I was telling my GF last night yesterday and today are the days to be a "flag waving patriot". IMO our system of election (whether it could use reform or not) and tradition of election, with a relatively seamless transition in power, in this country is something to be proud of. :patriot:

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
One thing to remember. Happy people are complacent. Therefore low turn out. What this election shows is that we are alot more concerned about things this time around. And if things don't get better, alot more people will be voting in four years than this time. But if everyone starts to feel good again, the turn out will be lower.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
figment said:
?leave work early? thats was mighty democratic of you! Us republicans typicly get to the polls BEFORE work :D

Since I was in the office by 7, it made it a little hard to go before. :twofing:

Besides, I didn't vote for the reds in the presidential election. ;)

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Do what ya gotta do.

But that doesn't mean I voted for Skerry either. ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts