Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of EBC HH sintered pads coming for the front of the 1000RR and I was wondering if I shouild be doing anything to "prep" the rotors? I currently have a set of GALFER pads on and I don't like them at all, I have to say that I liked the stockers better, but I am wondering if it was from a lack of prep on my part? what do you guys think?

do my rotors need to be sanded or sand blasted? what do you do to prep yours? :idunno:

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
If you go sintered (stock) to non-sintered, you have to beed blast the rotors. You shouldn't need to do anything if you go from non-sintered to sintered.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Since I went from sintered to sintered, I just did a very light sanding and cleaned the rotors with brake cleaner. I've had great luck with the stock pads on my 929. I had Galfers because they came in a kit with the lines, but I didn't particularly care for them.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great thanks for the quick replys guys(and gal;) ) I had very good luck with the factory pads on this one and the 929, I just thought that I would try and upgrade since I have braided lines too:idunno: I will try a light sanding just to be sure and go from there:thumb:

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Just get really, really fine sandpaper. I found fine in the basement, I think it was 120 grit, but it seemed to scratch, so I really didn't sand very much!

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
HondaGalToo said:
Just get really, really fine sandpaper. I found fine in the basement, I think it was 120 grit, but it seemed to scratch, so I really didn't sand very much!
600+ is fine, I would try 1200. 120 is pretty harsh.

EDIT: In general if the sand paper is wet/dry using it wet is equivalent to one grade finer

·
Registered
400 Posts
+1 on the Scotchbrite pad. A must have for the toolbox. Love the simple little things.

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
Scotchbrite here, too. Use acetone to clean the rotor...works better than brake cleaner.

·
Registered
124 Posts
maybe too soon to ask, how are the HRC pads? I need to do my brakes and I now need to find some decent pads. Or should I just get stockers?

·
Registered
748 Posts
rowlex said:
maybe too soon to ask, how are the HRC pads? I need to do my brakes and I now need to find some decent pads. Or should I just get stockers?
Vesrah's are pretty good. Either RJL's or SRJL's<--if you've got that kinda cash.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Scratch said:
Vesrah's are pretty good. Either RJL's or SRJL's<--if you've got that kinda cash.
Thanks for the help, just got the bike so I have no cash LOL hoping to spend less then 100$ I guess i just need something that will do the job, the bike wont see any hard riding for a while as it's my first bike. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts