Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cancer touches us all in one way or another directly or indirectly. I heard a report the other week on ovarian cancer and a new treatment that might give some hope for a lot of people.

Scientists manipulate immune system to fight cancer - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

The thing that concerns me with these new treatments is that often they seem to vanish shortly after they break into the news, there is so much money being made from the "cancer" industry it makes you wonder if "they" actually want to find a cure.:hmm:

·
Registered
20,979 Posts
Exactly what I was thinking as soon as I read the first few lines of the link story. This type of help towards cancer problems of many different types has been in and out of the press for as long as I can remember.
It seems almost nowadays that instead of us getting the 'WOW' they have something new that can actually help to "oh another one of those'.
The only positive to all of this, is that everytime they do bring something out, they are getting closer and closer to the heart of the problem. But, the different strains of cancerous cells are also evolving at the same time, if not quicker. Hope is always a good thing to have for the best part of us whom are not scientists.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
The thing that concerns me with these new treatments is that often they seem to vanish shortly after they break into the news, there is so much money being made from the "cancer" industry it makes you wonder if "they" actually want to find a cure.:hmm:
Of cause you do - you dont make money by finding the cure and burying it.

And there are so many forms of cancer that its not like you are going to put yourselves out of business.

As well as cures there is also prevention.
A vaccine has been developed to stop a virus that has been shown to be a cause of a form of cervical cancer.
This is something that went from a news story like this quite a few years ago to its actually in widespread use at the moment (and making some company money)

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Cancer is not one disease, but a cluster of diseases with a similar etiology at their core. Many, many cancers have gone from being lethal scourges to treatable illnesses. A vaccine has been developed that will prevent most types of cervical cancer, while chronic myelogenous leukemia can be cured with a pill. Radiation and chemotherapy have also made huge strides, and are far more benign than they used to be. We are indeed winning the "war against cancer", but it is a hard problem and will take a long time. Many, many scientists work long hours for very little pay to try and effect cures and treatments.

You all aren't helping any either. How many of you still smoke?

·
Registered
399 Posts
My lovely lady has had 3 major ops for breast cancer and if it gives hope then its fine by me.We all know that we're not going to live for ever but when you're is told that you got 6 months to go it does focus the mind somewhat.How many on here could honestly deal with that and keep some form of perspective.For a lady,losing your hair is a masive life changing event(chemo)losing a breast is an even worse life changing event but your kids losing their mother is just the worst thing ever.
Sorry for being a bit over the top over this but balance needs to be applied.
I feel sure that its all to do with todays litigius society that more remedies have not been applied earlier and hope that the lawers dont ever suffer the same fate!!!

PS.she has never smoked,and until her 48th birthday was still running half marathons,had proper food and hardly ever drank boose.

Stay lucky guys..............

·
Banned
768 Posts
My lovely lady has had 3 major ops for breast cancer and if it gives hope then its fine by me.We all know that we're not going to live for ever but when you're is told that you got 6 months to go it does focus the mind somewhat.How many on here could honestly deal with that and keep some form of perspective.For a lady,losing your hair is a masive life changing event(chemo)losing a breast is an even worse life changing event but your kids losing their mother is just the worst thing ever.
Sorry for being a bit over the top over this but balance needs to be applied.
I feel sure that its all to do with todays litigius society that more remedies have not been applied earlier and hope that the lawers dont ever suffer the same fate!!!

PS.she has never smoked,and until her 48th birthday was still running half marathons,had proper food and hardly ever drank boose.

Stay lucky guys..............
my sympathies here stu, goin through the exact same wi wifes younger sister, empethy all around buddy, take care.

cheers,
ron:thumb:

·
Premium Member
11,894 Posts
A vaccine has been developed that will prevent most types of cervical cancer
Which hopefully will mean my daughter won't have the worry and repeat surgery I have had over the last three years because of abnormalities showing up in tests..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts