Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd share...

I was at Blackhawk Farms Raceway this last weekend. At turn 6, we passed through a swarm of bugs. It sounded like getting pelted with BB's. Coundn't tell what they were. As I was coming down the front straight, doing maybe 120, I discovered there were a couple of bees in my helmet. I had to pull off run off in turn 1 to get those little bastiges outta there. I figured that the last thing I wanted was to get stung, freak out, then crash!

No harm, but it was kind of funny.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Nice job keeping it together.

I was once toodling along at about 60 with my shield up. Saw a big bumble bee just before he smacked into my cheek. I could feel him sitting on or against my face and it was all I could do to get pulled over safely. Turns out the impact had killed him already.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Yeah, bugs inside your helmet really suck. Remember to try and stay calm until you can pull over and remove the helmet. It will hurt less to get stung/bit than it will going down, and that doesn't include the doctor/bike repair bills. Good show keeping it together my man

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
I've had a yellow jacket hit my adams apple and ricochet up into my helmet. He landed on the little part right by the shield. He didn't die, just got knocked out for a bit. By the time I pulled over the thing started to recompose itself. I had just enough time to flip my visor up, and let him fall under my foot

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
lucky yous.

Got stung at the shoulder while riding. Hurt a bit. Feel like a man about it though.

....it's not the same as getting shot by a bullet, but it felt like it.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
It wasn't in my helmet, but...

In the late summer of '99, I was returning from a small group ride on a back road in PA (on my '94 CBR1000F). The temperature was over 100 degrees, and I'd peeled off my jacket for the planned leisurely solo trip back home. As I rounded an uphill left at about 60 mph, I got hit - no, clobbered - by a large insect on my right upper arm. The impact was hard and took my by surprise. I looked down at my arm, expecting to see blood and a gaping hole in my flesh, and instinctively grabbed the spot with my left hand. Although I thought I'd taken my eyes off the road for just a second, I was jolted back into reality when I realized I'd drifted too far right, and was off the road.

I found myself in some unsuspecting homeowner's heavily wooded front yard at approximately 55 mph, a surface of fallen leaves, dirt, and patches of grass beneath me. I somehow managed to slow the bike, using mostly rear brake, and was able to steer back onto the road just before plowing into the fence on the far side of the driveway.

I cannot describe how lucky I was to avoid hitting one of those trees, or coming off the bike. I went back to inspect, and don't understand how I missed the ditch, the trees, the fence...

The incident taught me some valuable lessons about riding without a jacket (regardless of the temperature), and keeping FULL attention on the road.

In the case of bees in the helmet though, there's not much you can do to avoid it! I'm glad you were able to keep it together!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Some yrs back I seemed to be hit quite often by ruddy hornets & you know they keep on stinging. Down a busy street in a city only a hornet had come in through the one-up notch of my visor & was buzzing on my glasses.

Pulled to the side of the road, dumped my gloves, removed my glasses then the helmet & finally the hornet fell out. Figure what must have happened is the hornet accidently hit the visor at the gap & was knocked out or close to being killed. Darn well killed when I stomped on it through.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Last month while going down my favorite mountain road, I got hit in the neck by a insect which then dropped into my leathers and began stinging the hell out of me repeatedly. The road had a series of blind turns and no shoulder to pull onto, so I just smashed the fcuker. I safely pulled over about 90 seconds later, but it seemed like an eternity. I unzipped the leathers and found a wasp, smashed in half, between my chest and t-shirt. The tail end of the wasp was still lodged in my flesh, and must have pumped me full of venom because my chest hurt for three days.

I am very fortunate that the wasp dropped down into leathers, rather than flying up into my helmet. I don't know that I would have remained as calm if I was getting my face stung.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Zippy : Just thought I'd share...

I was at Blackhawk Farms Raceway this last weekend.  At turn 6, we passed through a swarm of bugs.  It sounded like getting pelted with BB's.  Coundn't tell what they were.  As I was coming down the front straight, doing maybe 120, I discovered there were a couple of bees in my helmet.  I had to pull off run off in turn 1 to get those little bastiges outta there.  I figured that the last thing I wanted was to get stung, freak out, then crash!

No harm, but it was kind of funny.
Should have just lifted your visor...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just two weekends ago I was riding home from the gym. I was wearing those tear away pants and a bee or wasp or something that stings managed to get into my crotch. Left a pretty big bruise too (about 2 inches in diameter).

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well I got a horror story myself, a few months ago I was riding home with my visor up going about 40 mph and off to the distance I see this bug flying towards me. I thought to myself its not gonna hit me, well it kept getting close when finally I told myself to put my visor down. Well at the same time I was putting my visor down the bug happen to land inside of my face when I latched my visor closed. Then I start to spaz out I pullover and take off my helmet and look in mirror. I had bug guts all over my nose my right eye and a little bit on my lips. It was the most disgusting thing I ever had on my face.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I've got two stories from back when I rode a Shadow.

One day I was clipping along a nice back road around 70mph when I see all these black spots ahead of me, not really paying attention to what they could be. Before I new it I was getting pelted by hundreds of bees, I flew right through the swarm! I had bee goo all over my bike, my leathers and my helmet (luckily I was wearing a full face).

The other time I was again crusing along minding my own business when WHAM! It felt like I got just smacked in the shoulder by a hammer. I bee flew into my jacket and stung me right on the shoulder. I felt that one for a few days.

·
Registered
591 Posts
aye. the other day, i was cruising out my neighbourhood with my visor up, had a bug hit my face, so i grabbed my helmet and kind of shook it hoping to knock it down...... next thing i know all i can hear is this buzzing sound in my ear.. I totally about #### myself. I'm sure all my neighbours thought i was a ####ing nutcase, I got the bike stopped safely...but I couldn't get that helmet off quick enough!! When I finally got it off, whatever it was flew away... My visor stays down now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Back when I used to ride dirt bikes I had a wasp somehow get under my chest armor and shirt and into my armpit. Hurt like hell when he stung me a few times. I think a set a new speed record for removing all my gear. Probably looked pretty stupid hopping off my bike and stripping as fast as I did.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts